9

Eventually Rider James just picked me up and carried me into the house over his shoulder. Once inside the door, he plunked me on the floor and spun me around. Around the living room were streamers and strands of confetti and a Happy 2nd birthday banner with another two drawn on it.

"You're twenty two?" Rider James asked, looking confused.

"Well yeah," I said like he was stupid. "How old did you think I was?"

"I thought you were sixteen." Rider James said.

"Why would you think that?"

"You're a generic teen fiction protagonist." he shrugged. "How long have you been in grade ten then?"

"I dunno, like six years or something." I shrugged; marching into the living room and asking Rupert to mix me an iced frappe martini.

"How the hell?" he rubbed his eyes. "I'm the idiot bad boy and I'm in college for God's sakes."

"I run home crying from school after an hour every day, Rider James." I rolled my eyes. "I'll probably never graduate."

Daddy nodded, finally looking up from his magazine. "She's right." he said.

Rider James looked appalled. "I swear to God this family." he rubbed his eyes and took out his badboy brand cigarettes, lighting one right in the living room.

"I don't get the problem," I said, shrugging as I sipped at my alcoholic abomination.

"I've met hammers smarter than you, Peaches Jane." he sighed. "I'm going to have sex with some other irrelevant unnamed girl you go to school with."

"Just make sure to wrap it before you tap it, Rider James!" Daddy called after him.

The two of us giggled and high fived. "He's such a badboy." Daddy grinned.