Sucker Debate

In conclusion, having supported my value of Pete trying to fix his problems, I urge an affirmation of the resolution that Pete was a better man than Sucker. To recap, Pete wanted to rebuild the broken relationship between him and Sucker. Sucker and Pete had a very special relationship. One would say it's atrocious, but I would say it's quite untarnished.

He gave Maybelle a chance even though she was rude to other people, "I wanted to be friendly with everybody" (17). Pete said this the first time Maybelle dropped hints she would leave him. He didn't want to be rude, so he bottled up all his negative thoughts and never said anything callous to her.

Pete also accepted his immoral decisions and tried to make up for how he treated Sucker. When Pete made up to him, he said "I wasn't mad anymore, only tired. It seemed awful to me that I had talked like that to a kid only twelve. I couldn't take it all in" (21). He rebuilt his bond with Sucker and they became closer than ever for a brief period of time.

Once again, Pete is a much better person than Sucker. In case we need more clarification as to why Pete was the better person, Sucker has stated many times why he was happy Pete was like his brother. Would you be happy to have a horrible person as you brother figure? No. I wouldn't either.

I hope we have convinced and given you enough proof to see why Pete was the better person. And, I would like to carry out this conclusion with one very important quote from the story "Pete, I am gladder that you are like my brother than anything else in the world" (17).