The Calm Before the Storm

"Can somebody tell me how to solve this problem on the board?" Mr. Vance asks as he glances across the room. I yawn and rub my eye, "Okay than. Rose. Since your so interested you come do it." Snickers are heard throughout the class as I stand up and walk up to the crabby Mr. Vance. He holds out the marker to me and I take it. I turn toward the board and start writing out how to find the answer. Once I'm done I hand Mr. Vance his marker back, "Happy?" He glares at me and waves at me to leave and I lazily go back to my seat. "Thank you, Rose... Now as you can see how the variable ........." I start to nod off not caring for what he has to say when something hits me.
         I look over and find that my friend Cal had tossed a paper ball at me. He points to it and I lean over to grab it when someone kicks it further out of my reach. I look up at the culprit to find it was Taylor the school's honor student. He grins at me as I glare at him and he whispers, "Note passing is a no-no. I may just have to tell Mr. Vance." I roll my eyes at his sarcastic comment and quickly snatch up the paper ball and get back in my seat. "You know, snitches get stitches and I'd love to see that." I smirk as he now glares down at me.
         Just as I'm about to open up the piece of paper the bell goes off and before Mr. Vance can tell us our homework for the weekend everyone is out the room. When I get to my locker Cal is waiting for me, "Sorry. I didn't mean to get you and Taylor to have a show down." I sigh and toss the paper ball at him, "Yeah well let's just say I'm gonna kill you later." He grins chucking the paper ball back at me but I dodge it and it hits a passing girl.
         "What's your problem?! Did you just see that?! That nerd just hit me!" Her friends glared at Cal as he turned around embarrassed as I laugh hitting my locker with my fist. "Oh man! That's ..... That's good.... Ah hahahaha!" I say through my laughter. "Come on Rose, You didn't have to dodge." I continue to laugh but not as hard, "But if I didn't I wouldn't have been able to see that girls face when YOU hit her." I continue to chuckle as I put my books into my messenger bag.
      Cal huffed and stormed off to his locker. When we finished we walked down the hall to the robotics club room. I waved to everyone and then went to my corner pulling out my laptop. "So how's the bot coming?" Bailey looked over at me as I put my glasses on, "Not much of your concern since all you do is play games or watch stupid crap the whole time. Why are you even here?" I sigh at her forwardness, "My parents made me join. They think that I will be like my grandpa and build robots to go to the moon." She scoffs at me and turns back to the robot. I just shrug and play the next episode of Bungou Stray Dogs I left off on the night before.
        Two hours later I was walking home when a car beeps at me. I stop and turn around to find out it's my older brother Hunter. "You want a lift?" I walk over to his car and get in, "Thanks you saved me. I was gonna have to stop somewhere again." He laughed, "Did you stay up late again playing games?" I nod as I yawned. "Your only cheating yourself of a healthy body. If you would only dropped at least one of those stupid hobbies of yours." I glared at him, "Don't start bringing your doctor nonsense into this. You already have the whole family go on a run before school." He smiles, "Doesn't it make you feel good to start off the day right?" I roll my eyes as we pull into the driveway, "Sure, what ever you say Dr. Bro."
         He smiles as we walk into the house where we are greeted with two glittery twins. Both me and Hunter couldn't help but laugh when mom comes around the corner after them with steamers in her hair. "So I thought that it was just Benny and Kathleen that made messes. Nice to see your not to old, mom." She gave me a look and I smiled trying to act innocent when dad came into view. "Honey do you know where my---" He stopped half way as he saw mom and turned around. "Ah... Ah haha.. Ah HaHaHaHaHa!!" He bent over holding his stomach with one hand and used the other to try and mute his laughter. Mom blushed hard, "I... it's... It's not fu-funny Peter!" She brushes the streamers out her hair and then walks up to dad.
         She pops the back of his head her face still red, "I'm sorry......" Dad's laugh dies down as he swiftly grabbed mom around her waist. "You looked cute. Like the crazy little girl I fell in love with." She got redder as dad kisses her. I turned the twins around and turned away myself, "Please get a room. There's miners in here." Hunter laughed and pokes at me, "Like you?" I glare at him and lead the twins passed mom an dad's make out session and up the stairs. "Okay so what did you two make?" They giggle and Benny pulled out wooden stars, "We're going to be astronauts!" I smile at them, "That's so cool! Where's your spaceship?" They pull my hands and I followed them to their room. Kathleen pointed at their bunk bed. "Right here!" I saw that there were now carved out spaceship boards screwed to the sides of the top and bottom bunks.
        They both climb onto their bunk and pretend to blast off, "Sissy you should come with us!" I shake my head, "No I'm afraid of heights, but you two have fun though." They both nod and continued to play as I walk back down stairs. I walk into the kitchen to find mom in a daze. When I pull the fridge open she sighs then as I grab a can of root beer I hid towards the back she sighs again. Irritated I walk by her and say, "Go sigh and live in fairy land somewhere else. Other people live in this house and they don't want to hear or see it." She glares at me and says as I walk back up the stairs, "You'll understand one day! And when did that cancer get in my house?!" I shake my head ignoring her as I go to my room. "Finally." I sighed as I tossed my bag onto my bed and log onto my computer. I then pull on my headphones and open up League of Legends. Once logged in I message Cal and he joins the game and we chat and play until I'm called for dinner.
       During dinner mom brings up that Benny and Kathleen's birthday party will be tomorrow. "So Rose. You know that means that you can't lock yourself in your room. You have to actually participate, plus your good with kids right? So you can be the face painter!" I sigh. I'm not very good with kids unless it was Benny and Kathleen. Other kids always seemed to distant themselves from me and I didn't really mind. "Yeah okay. I'll do it but only cuz it's for Benny and Kathleen's special day." Mom and dad smile then they nod to each other and dad sits up straighter, "Well, since we're on a good note. Rose we have signed you up for another AP class. Biology! Exciting right?!"
       I stop breathing at the sudden change. Turning toward him I force a smile, "Yeah that's totally great! Can't wait to start." My life just got worst.....