The Watchmaker

A/N: I'm pretty young so I probably made a lot of mistakes and I haven't gotten to the plot yet, but I accept criticism with open arms. Thanks so much if you take your time to read this. :)                There is small town, among mountains and valleys, where a young girl, Annelise is her name, lives. It's not unusual to hear of magical, other-worldly things such as brownies, mermaids, potions, magical hats and the such, in this town. However, this town, being as small as it is, has no such things. At the moment, Annelise is in her shop, a shop that she runs all on her own, as she feels she has to, considering her parents have passed from a tragic accident involving magic potions. In this shop, Annelise makes watches. She doesn't have very many customers, but an occasional traveller every now and then is good enough for her. Annelise got up from her work table and went to the back of the shop, up the ladder and to the kitchen. She opened the icebox and looked around inside. She didn't find what she was looking for. She looked inside the pantry and found she had no bread or cream to feed the brownies! You see, although there are no magical, other-worldly things in the town, Annelise's house was different. The reason she got so much work done for one girl was because she left fresh cream and bread out for the brownies. The brownies liked Annelise very much and worked for her, in a sense.

"Seems I'll have to go shopping." Annelise said to herself.

She went to her bedroom to retrieve her hat, down the ladder to get her basket and out the door in the direction of the Market Square. She walked hurriedly to the Market. I hope the brownies don't get angry with me. She thought to herself, as the brownies were sensitive creatures. Annelise stopped at several stalls until her basket was full. She started to walk home at a fast pace when she bumped into someone. 

"Oof. 'Scuse me sir." Annelise pushed her hat back and looked up.

"Oh! Mr. Sartor. Good morning!"

Mr. Sartor chuckled and put out his hand to help up Annelise, "I'm sorry Miss. Annelise. But, It is a good morning isn't it?"

Mr. Sartor was the only tailor in town and his shop was just a little way down the street from Annelise's. He was a kind old man with a hunched back and circular spectacles.

Mr. Sartor helped Annelise up, "Miss Annelise, a coincidence that we bumped into eachother, I had a favor to ask of you."

"Anything." replied Annelise.

"My son, Silas, is coming to visit me, and I think a watch made by the best watchmaker in town would be a splendid gift. Of course, you'll be paid kindly."

"I'll gladly do it, but, I'm afraid the materials won't be all that good. I haven't got the money, sir."

"The money for the materials will be covered by me. Also, I hope there will be enough in here to pay for the watch." Mr. Sartor reached into his front vest pocket, pulled out a fairly large bag of gold coins and handed it to Annelise

"Mr. Sartor I don't need this much!" exclaimed Annelise.

"Miss Annelise, I won't be taking it back, so just hurry along home and get started on that watch. Silas will be here a week from today."

Annelise thanked Mr. Sartor many times until he tipped his hat and left. Annelise went and bought the materials and started to make her way home in a rush when she had remembered the brownies. Oh dear! The brownies could have left by now! She had been saying to herself the whole walk home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      When Annelise got home, she saw that the mischievous brownies had knocked down the vase. Annelise, not wanting them to knock down anything else, took a small bowl and filled it with fresh cream. She set it out on the table and within minutes, all the cream was gone. A more relieved Annelise took out a loaf of freshly baked bread and cut it in two. She set one half on a plate for the brownies and started eating the other herself. After it seemed that the brownies were satisfied, Annelise took out her materials and started to work on the watch for Mr. Sartor's son. Unfortunately, it seemed the brownies were feeling lazy and Annelise was left to make the watch herself. Because they were invisible, Annelise couldn't see how the brownies were spending their time, but she didn't hear anything, so they must have been asleep. Annelise, not wanting to wake them up, tip toed up to her bedroom. There was only a bed, and end table, a lamp on it and a wardrobe in her room. The wardrobe was large, but only a night gown and a few dresses were in it, none too fancy. Perhaps I should get Mr. Sartor to fashion a dress or two for me. After all he gave me all that money. Annelise thought this as she put on her night gown and got under her covers. But, she thought better, It would be much wiser to use that money for food. However, Annelise still wanted some pretty dresses and looked at her watch. Not too late. Mr. Sartor must still be awake. Annelise thought it might be nice to spend her money for something she wanted instead of needed and put on her coat and hat. It was raining lightly out, but she didn't have an umbrella. She pulled her hat on tight and went outside. Annelise walked down the street quickly and knocked twice when she got to Mr. Sartor's shop. It took him a while, but he answered the door.