Trapped (Collab with zombooty)

He was sick of it.

It had been too long, too long.

Everytime he glanced at the panel of glass, he would always see the same thing; a dusty, rarely used attic, with some cardboard boxes cluttering up the corner of the space and some other things he could not name.

But other than this panel of glass, he was simply standing in an endless black void. He had contemplated on running to the far end of this void in an attempt to search for an exit, but he might just lose sight of this rectangle that still reminded him of reality and never make his way back again.

Losing sight of it would be like death.

On countless occasions, he would just sit there, almost going crazy in the endless darkness. It was rare, but sometimes, a small girl with short, dark blue hair would appear in the glass panel. Her mouth would always appear to be moving, and she would always appear to be speaking to someone out of his range of sight, but no matter how hard he pounded on the glass panel, or how loudly he screamed, she never seemed to notice him.

His voice would never seem to reach through the mirror.

After the first few times, he would just give up and slump against the glass panel. He didn’t even glance back whenever he saw the flash of blue hair appear again. A reminder that he was invisible to the outside world was not needed.

Len didn’t know how much time passed. He just sat there, staring into the endless space of darkness, devoid of any form of life. As every second ticked by, he could feel his hope start to drain away, despite the numerous attempts he tried to get himself cheerful again.

Until one day, a surprised voice pierced through the panel.

“What are you doing there?”

It was a smooth voice, unlike the cracked one Len heard whenever he screamed to be let out, the one that seemed rusty, as if it hadn’t been used for decades.

His neck twisted as he turned to look at the mirror. His hands shaking, he grabbed the edge of that small rectangle. His eyes were blown wide.

“What?”

He just raised his eyebrows.

“I said, “what are you doing here”.

Len blinked, opened his mouth, then shut it again.

“You… can see me? You can hear me?”

The man on the other side smiled and shrugged.

“You tell me.”

Len stared for a second. Fine, a second too long. He chewed his lip.

“I’m Len. Len… Kagamine. Don’t laugh. What's yours?”

He cocked his head.

“Kagamine… huh. Go figure. Anyway, my name is Kaito Shion.”

Len stood up, pressed his hands to the mirror. His eyes looked thoughtful.

“Do you… know a way for me to get out of here? Or at least follow you?”

The question seemed a bit sudden, and Kaito took a step back. Either Len is perfectly fine with asking a complete stranger directly for a favour, or he was really desperate.

Although, judging by his facial expressions, it appeared to be both.

“I… I don't know,” Kaito admitted, albeit a bit slowly. The light in Len's eyes dimmed and he looked downcast.