why the world needs superheroes

History is far from being over, "History repeats itself," (Karl Marx) Modern society is facing unpredictable challenges like ISIS and Syria's Al-Nusra. And from knowing what is right and wrong is becoming more and more of a blur with each passing day. People now... more than ever, need something to believe in... something to give them hope.

For many people superheroes are a beacon of hope, inspiration, and examples of what is good and right. Superheroes are the examples we strive to be, they are selfless, they lead by example, they put others before themselves, they refrain from a bad lifestyle, they do what is right as opposed to what is easy, and they do whatever it takes to stop violence, hate and evil. People from different generations have looked up to superheroes as role models worldwide. But new generations have turned these superheroes as something they don't stand for.

The biggest superhero movies are marvel's Captain America: Civil War and DC's Superman vs Batman: Dawn of Justice. The titles alone should have us worried. Civil War is about the Avengers breaking apart and fighting each other. Batman vs. Superman centers on Batman destroying Superman. Both movies have the same storyline, turning against one another.

Our superheroes need to stay together and fight for what's right and not each other. Who will children look up to when heroes become villains and protagonists turn into antagonists? How is the youth going to know teamwork, and overcoming differences when the Avengers are falling apart and turning on one another.

The world needs reassurance that things will be okay. That when something wrong happens, there will be something good that follows behind. People today don't feel safe. Parents don't feel safe sending their kids to school, being afraid that their school might be another victim of a school shooting. Schools are suppose to be a safe haven. People can't even walk across the street without worrying about something. The only thing citizens can only be sure of is that it's only going to get worse. There is only going to be bad people out there looking to do something evil.

It's hard to remember a time before superheroes. War and prejudice were a reminder of what a failure humanity is. We fought over land, religion and came up with a numerous reasons to kill people, even if there was no reason at all. But just like in any superhero movie they all have done good. Have had a good impact on society...on the world. Saving the world from these things. If we had a super hero things would be better we wouldn't have to worry about anything. A superhero could be the answer we are all looking for.

Perhaps there is a superhero in all of us. Batman himself says it perfectly from The Dark Knight Rises, "The Idea was to be a symbol. Batman could be anybody. A hero can be anyone, even a man doing something as simple as reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hasn't ended." Everyday we could go out of our way to help people. We may not be a firefighter or a policeman, or even a teacher, but we can just as well help someone out. We are more and capable of doing it. So what's stopping us?

Nakita Gray