Chapter 1

(Still editing 😬)
June Third 2014
I sat in the back of the white diesel pickup truck my earbuds in playing my favorite country singers playlist as I watched the rows and fields of corn pass through my window. The images of my childhood flashing through my memory. I was finally going home. The place where I belonged... Iowa.

Hello, My name Laney Taylor I am now a Senior in highschool and currently living in the Great State of Texas!
Now let me tell you a little bit about myself. As you already know I'm a Senior and live in texas, but there is quite a bit more to me than just that. So where should I start? I guess I should tell you about my family? Well anyway I have a rather large family, I have three younger sisters who (not by my choice) look up to me, and one older brother who is currently overseas serving in the military as a Navy Seal. My Parents have been married for thirty years and are very happy together, I also have a dog who I consider family. His name is Tucker and is a large bull mastiff.
My hobbies include reading, sketching and Photography. Now I know that sounds like one of those "Nerds", but I'm not. I think that at my school I am very well known and loved by many. This last year (junior year) I was elected prom Queen of my class along with the very handsome and quite lovely Alexander (Alex) Johnson, who if you haven't guessed already is my middle school crush.

Alex, well where do I start? He is everything a girl looks for in a guy.He's kind, smart, gentle, and loving. On top of that he is the star quarterback of our high school's football team. Yes, I know very Cliche, but I like it.

Now to one of the most important topics. My best friend Sophia. She's great! She is a very, um how do I say this, She's very "energetic" If that's the best term to use for her. She is the captain of our cheer squad and president of the party committee. She is always there for me when I need her the most and I am there for her. She's really the best.

Now to explain why i'm sitting in the back of a pickup truck. I am traveling north to the place that I call home. Even though I live in texas this place is and will always be my home. This summer I will be working at a summer camp that is very familiar to me. You see when I was younger I used to live at this summer camp. Yes I know it sounds like a crappy place to live, but it wasn't, it was the place I learned how to swim the place I caught my first fish. There was a pond, a pool, a basketball court, sand volleyball court, and a barn that was filled with games such as carpet ball, pool and more. But this place is where I picked up my first rifle and shot my first clay pigeon. Now to many that doesn't seem like a big deal, but to the people who lived up north it's almost like a graduation ceremony. Don't ask me why it just is. But this place had a huge impact on my life and this summer was the summer that I said goodbye to it.

Four years ago my parents had decided to move, and it was hard on us kids. But as the years went by my siblings seemed to move on. But not me, I was the only one having trouble letting go, because it's hard to move on from something that has been a major part in your life. I don't know why it was so easy for my family and why it was hard for me, but one thing I know is that I would never be able to let go. So the way I dealt with it was taking trips every now and then to visit my home, but unfortunately that stopped. See, my parents were never to fond of the Idea of me traveling alone, but to the only place that I would ever call home was worse. I was even considering leaving my home a soon as I could just to move back to Iowa. That's why I am where I am today. I am going to say goodbye.

But now back to the story.

Looking out the window the song that I was listening to changed. And of the songs it had to be Brad Paisley's "When I get to Where I'm Going" how ironic. The truck that I'm riding in belongs to my "Grandfather" Louis or Louie as we call him anyway, he married my grandma after my real grandpa passed away. Now he and my grandmother were driving me to the camp that I would be spending the rest of my summer at.