Chapter One; The Passing

It was a warm summer morning, much like the ones where daddy used to make me hot cocoa and raspberry French Toast. I was sitting on the love seat in the living room watching the sunrise when they gave me the news. He's been dealing with pancreatic cancer for the past month and I've been doing my best to help but I'm only 14. When they told me it was like my whole world crumbled around me. No more piggy back rides, no more cuddling in bed while he read me Moonrise Kingdom until 1 a.m., and no more hot coco and raspberry French Toast on Saturday morning. It's so hard to believe that only 5 minutes ago he was living and breathing and fighting to stay with us. I whispered under my breath "Daddy, I love you." Tears began gliding down my face. More and more came before I realized everyone was staring at me as if they were waiting for to say something. I stood up and did my best not to collapse and scream "Can I see him?" I asked with a shake in my voice. They moved out of the way and gestured into the room. My mom was lying on his chest sobbing and asking "Why him? Why him?" She was always a strong person that never let me see her cry but in this moment she not only let me see her cry but she let me see her in her weakest moment. I slowly stumbled across the room and collapsed on the bed and began crying again holding his life less body.