Prologue

Some things have changed, some never will...not in this lifetime.

I looked into the mirror of my room to see my reflection and discover the changes I have gone through the past one year of my college. One year has flown so fast, bringing in its wake new friends, new achievements, new professors and of course, a loving and caring girlfriend in a great relationship.

I stepped out of the shower and buttoned my black formal shirt that had always been my favourite, wore the faded pair of Pepe and black blazer to complete the perfect gentleman look. Then I combed my hair and as they say, I was tiptop as a British sahib – ready for the party. Just then my phone beeped.

"You coming for the freshers' party or not?"

"Yes, in another one hour I will be there."

"And are you prepared for the inaugural speech?"

"Yes, I am!"

"Awesome! See you soon."

"Bye."

"Bye."

As I bent down to tie my shoelaces, I tried to think of one good reason for Mr Dixit selecting me to give the inaugural speech. Was it because of my handsome looks or my high marks in studies or my speaking skill? May be due to all of above!! But, why bother!

There was one thing I knew – I just loved such parties, where you got to know your juniors, new guys and pretty girls!!

I reached college an hour before the scheduled time (as I had to practice my speech) and to my dismay, saw utter chaos all around me. There were students running from one corner to another, some shouting and some practicing dancing or singing. The college band was trying out some new melodies. It took me five minutes to adjust to the environment!!

"Rishi, come here. Where were you? Why are you so late?"

"Ma'am, actually......"

"Okay, leave it. Have you got your speech ready?" she asked and before I could give her a response, she turned to go away.

"Yes ma'am," I replied and took out my speech from my jeans' pocket.

"Good, go and meet Mr Dixit. He is waiting for you backstage. The freshers' party is about to begin in another (she looked at her wrist-watch) thirty minutes," she said.

"Yeah, sure ma'am."

The juniors, that is, the freshers started entering the auditorium, looking somewhat cautious but wary. They were welcomed with flower petals being showered upon them. This reminded me of my freshers' party and made me feel nostalgic of my days.

The party began and everyone sat down on the chairs. It was time for me to give the inaugural speech!

I climbed the steps leading to the stage, took the mike and began:

"Good afternoon, everyone, don't worry; I will not bore you for more than fifteen minutes. So you will have to bear with me for these few minutes and I assure you, we will have lots of fun after that. Guys, when I entered college, it seemed to me that my life was about to begin – real life – a life full of adventures, fun and of course, love and relationships. But, there was always some impediment on the way which had to be tackled first; some unfinished business, a debt to be paid. At last, it dawned upon me that these obstacles constituted my life!!

"We never negotiate with God for this, though he makes us go through tough endurance tests, which cause us unbearable pain. It could be failure in exams, break in a precious friendship or pain in a love relationship, but, my dear friends, failure is the key to success. A time will come when you will have to make certain decisions and let me make it clear, the decisions you make in life will not only reveal what sort of a person you are but also pave the way for the choices you make in your future life. Thus take decisions in such a manner that you have no regrets in later life. Whatever happens – your heart may break, or you may fail, but remember, don't ever stop. It's just that you will have to pass through different phases – some good and some bad. The happy moments, whether shortlived or durable, will pass away like lightning, but after leaving a mark. So wait for the lightning to strike!

"So friends, rock on, have fun, make girlfriends, and enjoy your four years of excitement and joy in this college. And yeah, don't forget your studies. As they say, 'Study hard, party harder!', you too can do the same. Okay, I will stop here as Mr Dixit is giving me a 'what is this?' look.

"Thank you!!"

With this I ended my speech which was followed by a series of dance, drama and musical performances before everyone headed towards the lunch laid down on the table. I too followed behind them. (I was damn hungry!!)

I sat with my friends, having my lunch, when a girl (seemed to be a junior) came up to me. "Excuse me, sir," she said.

"Yes?"

I looked at her. She was wearing a formal white shirt and a jacket. Her shoulder length hair had been shampooed and brushed till every strand shone bright.

"Hi! I am Kritika. I am Pavitra's younger cousin. I heard your speech. It was just fantabulous!"

"Thanks!" I said.

"Can I have a talk with you, but not here. Can we go somewhere alone?"

"Yeah, sure."

My friends started whistling. I gave them a look of disgust and headed out with Kritika, wondering what the girl was up to!

"Sir, Pavitra di told me that you have the most romantic yet painful love story. Is it true? She even told me that you are the perfect boyfriend any girl could get."

"Oh really? It's nothing like that yaar. It's just..."

"Please sir, I am all ears. Tell me your story naa..." she encouraged.

"No, I don't really like to discuss this with anyone."

"Please sir, please. Only me. Please, please," she begged.

"Okay fine," I said.

"The story started the day I was born..."

--------------------------------------------------------

www.free-ebooks.info