Grip

"Natalia?'" My boss Barry broke into my thoughts about Shane, my boyfriend. Shane had promised tonight would be the best of my life, only because of the bruise that resignated on the back of my neck where he'd grabbed me. You know, it's ironic. I'm a lawyer in an abusive relationship.

I glanced up, becoming aware of my surroundings in the spacious office at work. Barry raised an eyebrow at me knowingly, he knew exactly what was in my mind. I had called him last night, sobbing. He stood up from the brown overstuffed chair that sat on the opposite side of the shiny oak desk.

"Make sure all your files are updated." He whispered through a tensed jaw and walked through the tall double doors. He was angry, I could see it in the way he closed himself off to me when he realized where my mind really was.

My hand tentatively rose, brushing my hair over my left shoulder. My hand knowingly began to traced where Shanes fingers had been only hours before. I shook my hair long blonde hair, back to where it belonged. I blinked away the tears that began to form, and began to click on the computer, updating my last file of the night. I clicked the blue "Send" button, so that Barry could see it. I stood, but before I could shrug my jacket on Barry re-entered my office. I looked up to meet his gaze, his jaw was still set in a hard line.

"I won't let you go back there Natalia," he whispered, his voice soft and pleading "you deserve so much better. You're beautiful, smart, kind, caring, and I think I'm in love with you." His eyes darted around the room, avoiding my gaze. I bit my lip and stepped so I was directly in front of him, waiting for him to look at me.

His eyes finally found me after a few awkward moments, and I realized I had never seen him so vulnerable. I traced my finger along his jawline, and it almost immediately relaxed. He looked me in the eye, and reached his hand behind my head as he slowly moved my mouth towards mine. Our mouths moved in perfect time with each other's, and I knew that I wouldn't be going home tonight. He moved away from me, and his fingers trailed down to where the bruise was, and slowly dragged his fingers along it.

I looked him in the eye, and whispered "I love you too."