When the Parents Leave

"Okay Mom, love you, bye!" I call, annoyed. My parents, along with my grandparents and other adult relatives, were going out. We, being my cousins, sister, and me, were staying at my grandparent's house. They owned a vast and old Victorian house. While the adults were partying all weekend, we had to clean out the 2nd through 4th floor. It wasn't fair.

"Mommy, when are you coming back?" my 7 year old cousin asks a little too innocently.

"On Sunday, Tavi, for the 100th time." my aunt replies sourly.

Tavi smiles sweetly at our grandma.

"Oh, Dana, don't be so harsh on your daughter." Grandma smiles in delight.

"Bra-at." Kaye, my cousin the same age as me, says. Her younger brother Eli giggles.

As soon as they leave my sister Jenni yells, "HIDE AND SEEEEK!"

"No, Jenni, we have to clean at least one floor first." I say. She gives me a sad look, but runs away, holding hands with Tavi. Kaye snickered and followed them, calling back "We'll start on the 4th floor, you start on the 2nd, we'll meet in the middle."

Little 10 year old Eli grins at me and takes my hand. We walk up the stairs to the 2nd floor.

Ugh. The people who lived here before obviously didn't care about their stuff. Everything lays in a mess of dust. I grab an item at random.

"Eli, look, a sword!" I giggle,pretending to stab him. He laughs and grabs a handful of swords from the pile.

"Good luck with that, Rose!" he bellows. I laugh, chuck one at him playfully, and work at organizing the trash from the valuables for a few hours.

"I'm going to check on the others," I declare. "Be careful with the swords."

I slowly make my way up the east staircase, which is the farthest away and the longest. It's pouring rain outside. I climb the winding staircase to the 4th floor.

"Tavi! Jenni! Kaye!" I cry out. Soon I hear Tavi yelling "Down the hall!"

As I walk down the hallway I notice how much work they got done. Almost all the bedrooms are clean and clear. I guess we'll be sleeping up here.

"Have you seen Tavi?" Kaye demands as soon as I walk in the door.

"She just told me she was down the hall." I answer. Jenni's eyes get wide and she whispers, "She left to check on you atleast an hour ago."

Kaye looks at me, fear in her eyes, and grabs mine and Jenni's hand. We make our way down the main (and closest) stairway. We run around the 3rd floor but we can't find her. I remember "Eli! He's alone!" and we sprint for the 2nd floor.

Eli is hiding in the closet of the large master bedroom.

"Eli! Have you seen Tavi?!" I scream. He mutters uncontrollably and hugs me. I pick up his small figure and carry him down to the 1st floor.

"Elijah. Have. You. Seen. Tavi?" Kaye says slowly.

Shaking, he says "She...she came to check on me. We played swords and..." He takes a deep breath. "I sliced her finger by accident. She walked into the hall to tell you and I heard her scream. She yelled for help, but I was too scared of..." His eyes widen at me. "Her."

"Who?!" Jenni, Kaye, and I yell at the same time.

Eli shudders and covers his ears.