An Up Hill Battle

Savannah Fair is 18 years old and lives with her father, Colton, on their ranch that has been passed down throughout the generations of Fairs. Their 6,000 acer ranch is about 20 miles from the small town of Opal, Wyoming where Savannah attends high school as a senior. However with the recent events occurring on the ranch, she isn't sure how much longer she will be a student at OHS.

Tragedy first struck the ranch 6 years ago when a drunk driver killed Savannah's mom in a vehicle crash. After the initial pain and struggle, things started to look up for the Fairs. The horse industry boomed and with the Mustang Million contest going on every year, over 100 mustangs left the ranch each year to be rehabilitated and re-homed. But luck couldn't find its grasp on the ranch's rocky terrain as yet another tragedy struck. One of Colton's best men, Jeffery, was found with an arrow through his heart. The local law enforcement agency tried to track down his killer but after a year they gave up. Jeffery had been like a grandfather to Savannah and she took his death hard. She began to spend more time alone in the fields on her rides and even started sleeping in the barn.

However, all of her increased time in the saddle and time with the horses helped her to focus on her goal for life, Rodeo Queen. The title meant more to Savannah that any of the other girls because Savannah's mom had been the Queen up until her death. When her mother passed, Savannah took over her barrel horses and their training. She worked strenuously to keep all 7 horses in prime condition for each season. And with each season bringing a new Queen, Savannah grew painstakingly tired of waiting for her chance.

As time went on trouble seemed to love finding it's way onto the ranch. With the business booming Colton hired new men to help with the horses and cattle. But after a few months Savannah seemed to notice a decrease in the population of wild horses she saw on her rides. When she confronted her father he brushed it off as if nothing was wrong but then he to began to notice it. When he begins questioning his men, mainly the new hires, they get angry that he asks them first instead of his men who he had employed longer. The 3 new men he had hired all quit and Colton is left with just 9 men to work the huge spread.

The constant up hill battle strains on the ranch and no one knows just how much longer they can hold out without help.