The Gifts of Kartia: Preface

"In the middle of the 6th Song, a Gifted boy shall be born unto nobility under a sky bereft of its evening crown, and his arrival shall summon a lightning which shall strike the old bell twice. On his 18th Day of Coming, the Land of the Graces shall perish."

Ito ang Propesiya. Ito ang sumpang pinanghahawakan ng bawat marangal na pamilya sa Kartia.

Subalit sa ika-labinlimang araw ng ika-anim na buwan ng taon, ipinanganak siya. The noblemen of the proud House of Moon, 6 of them, gathered together as they waited on Lady Marina's childbirth; praying heavily to their gods, hoping that her delivery would last until tomorrow.

5 minutes before the 15th day ended, the baby's first cries all echoed in their heads like a knife slowly piercing through their hearts. Ang kanilang siyudad ay nasa kalagitnaan ng isang malakas na bagyo, at kasunod ng pagluwal sa bata ay ang pagtama ng kidlat sa lumang Clock Tower sa Sentro ng siyudad.

The Prophecy. The Prophecy.

When the midwife came out of the room, Lord Vandal, the newborn's father, stabbed her with a sword right through the heart. She fell down: dead, sumisirit ang dugo na nagmumula sa dibdib.

"Walang makakaalam ng araw ng kapanganakan ng aking asawa," mariin niyang banggit. Tumingin siya sa kanyang mga kapatid at mga pinsan. "This shall remain a secret, do you understand?"

"But we aren't sure if the boy is Gifted, right?"

"Do you understand?"

Tumango na lamang sila. Hindi nila nais na ilaglag ang kanilang kapamilya. Masyadong maduming maglaro ang kanilang mga katunggali sa kapangyarihan. Hindi sila papayag na may sinumang makapagbubutas sa kanila.

"Go to the midwife's family and bribe them to leave for the Freeman Republic or to Rueblo. I do not care where. If they refuse, you kill them."

Tumalima naman agad ang dalawa sa kanyang mga kausap.

Napaluha na lamang si Lord Vandal sa mga nangyari, ngunit ang isinilang ay ang kanyang unang anak. There is no way he will surrender his own son to the claws of their vultures. One day, his son will inherit he House of Moon, and that his House shall become the House which will govern Kartia. He will do what he can to stop the prophecy from happening.

Everything.