Prologue

Two men, a human and an elf stand outside a small doorway talking in hushed voices. A small man paces the room muttering nonsense and scribbling furiously in a book. The small man, a dwarf, has pale taut skin. At only 107 years old he looks like he is 350. The men talk about nothing in particular stalling, trying not to think about what they think they are going to do. Nobody notices me though. I am in a small battered closet where small coats hang. I have been hired to stop them. Apparently deciding they're done talking one of them, the human, pulls a long wickedly curved blade from a sheath on his hip. It's now or never I think as I pull a long sleek knife. In my head I silently count to three then burst through the doors. The men's looks of surprise quickly disappear and one is on the ground a fresh knife wound on his chest.The second one realizes what is happening and let's out a strangled cry I slit his throat too silence him. As he slumps to the ground blood trickling from the wound. I peer into the room and realize with a start the man is gone. I peer into room and something on the bed catches my eye. It's the small book the man was writing in. I quickly grab it and read the title.

The Dwarf Plague