The Secret Race

CHAPTER 1

The whir of the engines. The click of the gearshift. The buzz of the Nitrous-oxide tanks. That's what I want to live.

"Dammit Jason, get back in the race!"

He snaps back to reality and punches the gas. Jason DeLeé is a NASCAR driver. Number 111 is his car. All it's good for is making left turns. His guide and coach, his best friend, Nash Washington is pounding on Jason's eardrums.

"Jason you're in sixteenth place and it's the second to last lap," Nash gripes, "Stop jerkin' it and crank up the engine, Brother!"

"Y'know, Nash," Jason replies, "I'd like to see you try to drive this damn thing!"

Jason hits it up to second gear and snakes his way past his opponents. He passes thirteen other racers, then holds it at third.

"Time to lose these assholes." Jason says to himself.

The number 111 car speeds up, slowly creeping upon the second place driver. Jason shifts gears again and swiftly passes the opposing racer. As he comes up on the first place driver, his engine starts to smoke and steam. A loud POP! comes from the exaust pipe and Jason loses control of his steering. He slams into the concrete wall, his wheels catch it just right and he flips onto the fencing. His car rolls and tumbles and finally comes to a complete stop. Jason's in the stands, his consiousness fading. He can hear screams and shouts, but it's all muffled. His vision goes dark.

He wakes up groggily, his head pounding. He sits up and places a hand on his bandaged head. Nash is sleeping in the chair next to his bed. He looks scruffy, like he hasn't slept in days.

Jason decides to let him sleep and he calls in the nurse with the button given to patients if they need something.

A big black man walks in and Jason assumes he's the doctor,"Excuse me doctor--." The man interupts laughing softly, his deep voice rattling Jason's spine, "I'm not the doctor Mr. DeLeé. I'm your nurse. Nurse Linen." He says with a smile

Jason's eyes widen, "O-oh, ok," he replies. "What happened?"

"Well you've been in a coma for three weeks. Mr. Washington hasn't left your side except to go eat all the chocolate cake in the cafeteria." he sighs