Prologue

Fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes was all it took for me to hate my best friend. The person who I confided to with everything. He knew every detail of my life and I trusted him to keep my secrets.

Caleb Howard was the type of guy who you take for granted. He was always there for me when I needed him and he only lived a few blocks away, so I would show up unannounced all the time. I would vent my problems to him. About my parents. My homework. My teachers. My life.

Fifteen minutes. Only fifteen minutes to ruin my life. It took two minutes to refill my drink and lead me to a bedroom. Three minutes to convince me that nothing was wrong and I could lay down. Only two minutes for him to strap my arms to the bed. One minute to explain how it was my fault. Two minutes to get both of us undressed. And five minutes. Five for him to take advantage of his drunk friend. Five minutes for him to finish inside of me. Five minutes for him to ruin me.

He lead me to the shower when he was finished. Made sure he cleaned me up. Then he left. I was still in the shower. Tears falling down my face. I took a minute.

Just one minute. I took it for myself because I needed to regain myself. The music was still blasting from downstairs. The party was still going on. But I was done. I dressed myself. Called my brother, Steven and walked downstairs with my head held high.

When Steven showed up, he couldn't tell that I was different. He couldn't see the marks on my wrist from the rope he used to tie me up. He couldn't see the tears indented into my skin.

"All partied out?" he asked fidgeting with the radio.

I didn't say anything else. Just stared out the window while we drove home.

Fifteen minutes was all it took to ruin my life.