Chapter 1: MIA

The morning was quiet. A nearby open window promised me the morning song of crows and sparrows. The room had a subtle chill of early breezes, but nothing my bed didn't mask from a full night of sleeping on it.

I had practically fallen back into a deep sleep, when I heard a light thud from the doorway in front of me. I was slow to blink open my eyes; I didn't hear the sound of my Girl's bed sheet rustling to signal her waking up, so I assumed that it was her mother coming in. I didn't even bother to lift my head.

However, I heard tacking. Claws on laminate. That alone was enough to pique my curiosity. What actually made my head shoot up was the sound of metal clinking, a familiar noise of my kennel being unlatched. I blinked wearily in the bright sun stripes, and saw who it was; my adoptive older brother.

Gray, was his name. He was using his boxy muzzle to flip the latches up, before grabbing them with his teeth and pulling them to the side. I watched him, frozen, not sure why he was letting me out. When the door swung open, I stayed put. I was good; I didn't want to leave until I was told. Gray stood before me for a moment, before he made an irritated huff.

"Sylus, dammit, get out of there." He growled. Slowly, low to the ground, I crawled out, only standing when I was fully out of my crate. I was a bit shorter than Gray, and definitely not as filled out, but he wasn't as imposing as he had been a few months ago.

"Gray, what's going on." It wasn't really an optional question, I was more stating it and expecting an answer. Gray snorted at my show of pride right after he had just had to give me permission to leave my kennel.

"See for yourself. Go around the den, tell me what's wrong." He grumbled. I gave him a look of confusion, but I did the first thing that came to mind; I hopped up on my Girl's bed.

I yelped in surprise. She wasn't here. The bed was straight and made, not messy or disheveled. Her glowing slab, her 'phone', wasn't here either, nor the cord. This wouldn't be odd, she takes those when she goes to the place she calls 'school'.

However, I had never heard her rise this morning. She never leaves without letting me outside and giving me breakfast.

I realized now that Gray was right to be concerned. My next stop was the older people's room. They were gone too. The only ones in bed were the cats. Even the man's moving machine was gone.

I quickly went back to Gray. He had wandered to the front door, rearing up and using his paws to pull the handle down before taking unbalanced steps back on his hind legs.

"Sylus, try to put ya nose in the door so we can open it." He instructed. I did as I was told, flinching when the door tapped my snout, but after he backed away, I pushed it open until it couldn't open anymore. Just then, I heard a sharp clicking against the floor, and noticed it was the head cat; Ivan.

"What's going on?" Ivan asked, looking between Gray and I. Gray looked out the screen door, before glancing down at the tabby.

"Ivan, do me a favor, will ya? Get this screen open." And with this, Gray stepped aside. Ivan seemed surprised that Gray wanted his help. His eyes narrowed with suspicion.

“Who are you, and what did you do with Gray?” The cat accused. I couldn't stifle a laugh, but Gray growled.

“Dammit cat, just get the door open!“ He demanded. Ivan flinched. I would too, if a dog three times my size yelled at me. With a defiant mumble, Ivan approached the door, stretched to his full height, and pulled the handle. He'd done it before, and usually I'd alert my girl and chase him away, but for now, we were equals.

Once the door was opened, Gray took the initiative.

“Sylus, stay here and keep the door open. I’m gonna look for the people,” He ordered. Without even waiting for an ‘ok’ from me, he barged past and trotted down the ramp and into the yard. Not having a choice, I parked myself down so that my body kept the door in place. Ivan stayed nearby, watching us carefully. Before long, I heard Gray give a frustrated bark before he rounded the corner into view. He came into the house and told me to move and let the door close with just a push of his nose.