Chapter One

Darkness,

Darkness can play with a man's mind. The empty ripples of both nothing and everything are a soothing chaos. The way the mind explodes with serenity is overwhelming. A void that you cannot touch but is also engulfing you with everything.

The mind shatters after a time and fear becomes nonexistent. The world around you is nothing. You float through the cosmos, and become one within yourself.

It's been proven that a prolonged experience without neural stimulation will degrade your brain and damage your soul... Well a damaged soul is only partly true.

To me the darkness was everything. I forgot my past. Let the senses drift away. I discovered everything and nothing at the same time. It was a shit paradox.

After the long eternity that I experienced in the darkness my mind finally broke. But that wasn't enough. Time swam by. Like a stream rippling through my soul, degrading everything in its path. My soul was being ripped apart strand by strand until I could physically feel the weaves of what was left of me leave my body... Then I met him.

He was just like me. Soulless. He talked and talked and talked. I enjoyed the company. It was ecstasy to me. His words slowly brought me back into sanity. But he was not real.

At the time I did not know that. I just kept devouring his words, his ideals, his philosophies. For days, maybe even months he kept talking. He was a nameless companion rebuilding my torn out soul word by word. Weave by weave.

He talked about everything. His opinion on life itself was quite pessimistic. Emotionless were his words, but I just kept eating them up. He wanted it to end. The world, I mean. He wanted revenge for what happened to his body and his mind. He had a boiling anger that would not evaporate. Until I caught it. Like an infectious disease his anger took over my body until I was shaking with rage. I wanted to get revenge for what happened to him. For what he lost. No man deserves that much pain and sorrow I thought. No man should be treated like that. I only sat and listened to him though.

Until finally he offered me an out. He offered immense power and a chance to finally escape my imprisonment... I said no. The first time at least. Until my hunger grew and human nature took me over once again.

I agreed to his terms. In exchange for freedom once again he would take a seat and watch me. From afar. Judging me like god himself. From where I was standing I could not say no to this nameless apparition. I finally blurted out a yes after the infinity of my silence. My own voice haunted me.

He only nodded in a agreement. The deal had been completed. He walked into the darkness, then he was no more. A single yes was all it took for him to disappear. The darkness came creeping back in again. There was nothing else.

Days, months, years. How long have I spent in this void? Who am I? I have no memories of the world I left. I have nothing. It is ill fitting of my situation but proper. The darkness has won.

But then it happened. A faint tap from the void. A knock that was millions of miles away from me. I chased it through the void and as it got louder I felt it penetrate my body. The vibrations I have not felt in eternity have once again come back to haunt me.

Was this salvation? Was it a trick of the mind? Have I finally died and this is the process of entering the afterlife? I couldn't take the chance. I chased it. Just a walk at first. Then a run, a sprint through the void. My vision was lit up with the universe surrounding me as I ran. Entire galaxy's, nebulas watching me as I ran. The universe was cold and perverse with it's watching. I don't care though. My salvations here.

Then it hit me.

Blinding. A repellant to the darkness. I shielded my eyes with my hand as the universe around me exploded with blinding light. My body shudder with the feeling of hope. I felt hot drops droop down my cheeks and off my face. I could not contain my tears as the light surrounded me once again.

The light could only blind me for so long until I got used to it. There at the source of the light was a shadow. A man. Was it him? My illusive conversationist. Has he kept his word and come to rescue me? I shall find out.