Prologue

Prologue

Many people believe that with magic, all your problems disappear. I can tell you that is a complete lie. Afterall, my problems only started when I finally got my magic.

My name is Evelyn Wilde - and I'm a witch

When I was born, you couldn't even tell what I would become. My mother, too, was a witch, but my father was a human. So there was a hope I wouldn't be a part of the magical world - a world where I'd be ostracized from normal society, and thrust into a world full of danger. When I was born I had my father's coloring. Blond hair as pale as ice, and sun kissed skin.

By the age of five my looks had completely changed. I had golden brown hair, and emerald green eyes; I looked just like my mother. When I turned six I finally came into my powers. I remember how excited I was - I didn't understand my parents tears. For a while I thought they were angry with me - but now I know that they were just angry with the circumstances.

They tried to hide me, and the changes I'd gone through, from the rest of the world. I didn't understand why until it was too late. Every year I watched through the window at the rest of the world, desperately wanting to run through it. To let my magic run through the world.

I desperately wanted to feel free. I think that's why I snuck out on my 15th birthday. I like to think if my parents had told me why they were doing what they were doing, I wouldn't have done what i did. But I know I would have. I was stubborn. I was stupid.

So, on my 15th birthday, I snuck out of the house right down to my town's square. I remember how everyone looked at me - wondering who I was. It was amazing. I could do whatever I wanted, and with this new feeling of freedom I decided to do something i'd been dreaming of since I was six years old and had first gotten my powers.

I ran right over to the fountain in the middle of the square and i let my magic out. I raised the water through the air - sent it swirling and twisting around the town. And then I started freezing it slowly ever so slowly. I thought it was amazing, I'd never felt better - but nobody else saw it like that. I didn't even realize how they were looking at me. I was too caught up in my magic. Then they were here. The king's men. I don't remember much about it - it was all a blur.

The next thing I knew I was here.