Do You Think Of Me?

As I watch you, your eyelids flutter in your sleep. I wonder what you dream of.....

Who you dream of.....

How you feel.....

I think to myself.... Do you think of me...?

I catch you glancing at me at times, but then you look away. Who do you love? Who do you see? Who do you dream of? Who do you wish was there with you, to breathe the air you do, and to live your life with?

You soon awake and you see me here beside you. I am the only one who came, but I don't dare tell you that. I was the only one who cared.

You give a smile, but stay silent. Your hand reaches for mine. We're sitting under the dim, flickering lights of the hospital room, and they make me uneasy. Why did you try this? Why would you want this for yourself? Soon I hear faint beeping...

As the sound grows, my heart starts to tremble. Your hand begins to shake, and soon the beeping grows so loud, that everything blurs out. Nurses rush in and push me aside. I won't let go of your hand. I never will. I see your eyes slowly close again, as if you're going back to sleep. But this time, I don't think you'll wake. The beeping comes to a steady halt, and the nurse switches off the machine next to you. She nods her head, and exits the room.

Your hand still lies in mine.

Who did you love?

Was it..... Me?