Everybody Has Scars To Hide

In a bar there are thirteen people.
One, a CEO.
The next, a secretary.
The third, a retailer.
Fourth, a janitor.
Then a farmer.
An officer in the Navy.
The seventh, an oil worker.
Eighth, a trucker.
Next, a senator.
A mechanic.
A missile designer.
The twelfth is a biology teacher.
And the thirteenth?
He was the bartender.
The bartender knew everything.
He knew that the CEO's wife had had three miscarriages and he knew his company was going bankrupt.
The bartender remembered that the secretary had missed her father's funeral to work so she could support her three kids.
He knew that the retailer had just started making a reasonable amount of money, but still had no running water.
And the janitor worked days at a local elementary school, but also took the night shift at a gas station to pay for her husband's chemotherapy.
The farmer was always worried about the weather, the incoming bills, and the condition of his livestock.
The bartender knew that the Navy officer's son worked odd jobs to help pay mortgage.
He knew how the oil worker's mother was on her deathbed, but he couldn't go home to see her because he had to work overtime.
And that the trucker had a wife and kid across the country that he had to provide for.
How the senator was barely paying rent on the one-room apartment that housed her four children.
The mechanic worked fourteen hour days to complete all the projects coming in.
The bartender knew that the missile designer had been threatened with death by his boss twice a week for the past eight months.
He knew that the teacher had only started making 60,000 this past September, despite the fact she'd been teaching for twenty years.
And he knew how he was working three jobs to pay off student loans.
But it didn't matter. It wouldn't win the lottery for them, it wouldn't make their lives turn around.
It was just another scar to hide.