Rescuing Becca

“Goddammit Becca!” Anson shouted from the laundry room.

“What did I do this time?” Rebecca groaned when Anson stormed into the kitchen where she was eating her favorite cereal. Upstairs, they heard Damien slamming his door shut and trudging down the hallway. Secretly, Rebecca hoped Anson had found her tarantula in his room, but when she looked up, she found that wasn’t the case. She began to giggle, covering her mouth with her hand.

She swallowed the food in her mouth and managed to choke out, “That was not me. Maybe you dropped your own sock into the washer by accident.” Anson glared at the girl.

“I can’t believe you’re lying. Fuck, now my hockey jersey is pink. Pink! Becca, I am going to kill you,” Anson growled, inspecting his light pink jersey. The guys were going to rag on him forever. Damien slid passed Anson on his way to the counter where their dad had set their breakfasts and lunches. He grabbed his granola bar, slipping it into his pocket and snatched the brown bag with his name written on it. He nodded his head along with the loud music that was blasting from his headphones, oblivious to the conversation being held by his siblings.

Anson ignored Damien, his eyes fixed on his younger sister; holding up the red sock he began to shout again. “Rebecca, I know this is your fault, and I will prove-”

“Hey, thanks for washing my sock, I was looking for this,” Damien interrupted taking the sock from his brother. He pulled up his baggy, black pants, revealing one red sock and one that was striped light pink and green.

“That’s my sock!” Rebecca laughed, pointing at the striped sock. Damien shrugged tossing the red piece of clothing onto the chair beside his sister.

“You’re not getting it back until my next laundry day,” Damien warned her in his quiet, normal voice. Rebecca shrugged.

“I don’t care. I’m wearing your hoodie anyways.” Damien smirked at her with a tiny smile pulling up the corners of his lips.

Rebecca glanced back to Anson who was gaping at them. “I hate both of you,” he grumbled, dropping into the chair next to his brother. “I wish mom was back from Aly’s wedding.” He slumped down in his seat, a scowl on his face. He brushed away strands of white-blond hair out of his sea green eyes, that made the girls at his school swoon. Rebecca’s spoon clinking against her empty glass bowl was the only sound that could be heard as she stood up and dropped it into the sink.

“You guys ready?” she asked, leading the way to Damien’s car. As they drove closer and closer to the school, Rebecca grew visibly anxious. Rebecca wasn’t nearly as popular as her brothers, which she was fine with, but she always managed to receive unwanted negative attention by both girls and boys.

Every day, she dreaded going to school because everyone there was either a complete bitch or an asshole. Even the kids who were at the bottom of the social scale ignored her or bitched at her. Some people were kind of nice, but they had no interest in being her friend. The best friends she had, as much as it pained her to admit it, were her brothers.

“Somethin’ botherin’ you, Becca?” Damien asked, glancing at her in the rearview mirror. Rebecca shrugged. She hated dragging the boys into her problems; they had enough to worry about, without involving them in her drama.

“Probably on her period,” Anson said, not glancing up from his cell phone.

“Nope, I’m right as rain, Damien,” she replied, smacking Anson upside the head. On the outside, her skin was steel. To others, it appeared like she didn’t give a shit about what anyone said about her, which she truly didn’t. She just wished that someone would see past her tough exterior and notice that she was capable of being more than just a cold-hearted freak.