f o u r t y f o u r

When I land in Los Angeles three days later, I feel as though I've been a gone a lifetime since I first moved out here. I was bright-eyed and hopeful for the future, but never in my wildest dreams did I think that my life would take such a dramatic turn. Two months ago, Luke Hemmings was a picture on my childhood wall, and now he's my boyfriend. Calum Hood was nothing more than a guy who played the bass to me, and now he's my...

"Everything?" The flight attendant asks me.

"Excuse me?" I look back up at her in confusion.

"Do you have everything?" She repeats herself.

"Oh," I nod with comprehension. "Yes, I believe so."

"Wonderful," she forces her smile to be even wider as she steps aside to let me get off the plane. "Have a nice day."

"Thanks," I rush off the plane as quickly as I can, as if leaving the plane will leave my problems there too. Unfortunately, reality doesn't work in my favor, and I'm forced to run head-on into my problems like a brick wall.

As soon as I get off the the jetway, a familiar sight catches my eye. Standing in the terminal with a bundle of sunflowers in hand is Luke. He's smiling wider than I've ever seen, but my own reaction to him waiting there confuses me.

I'm not excited to see him.

I should be relieved to see him after being apart for a week, but as I take in the sight of Luke Hemmings waiting for me with flowers, I almost feel disappointed. I want Calum to be the one waiting for me, but I know that's a ridiculous thing to wish for. I should be happy to be reunited with Luke, and yet, all I really want right now is to see Calum.

"Don't look so excited," Luke teases as I walk up to him.

"What are you talking about?" I ask, suddenly aware that I've been disconnected from my surroundings for the past few seconds.

"I mean, you didn't have to jump into my arms," he chuckles awkwardly, "but I was kind of hoping to see that beautiful smile of yours after going a week without it."

"Crap, sorry!" I groan in annoyance. "I probably should've done that for the paps."

"Or because you missed me," Luke counters under his breath. My heart sinks a little when I realize how disappointed he is, so I quickly try to make it up to him.

"Redo?" I ask sweetly, and the corners of his mouth turn up in delight.

"Sure," he says softly. Without another word, I slowly back away from him until there is a good twenty feet between us. "What are you doing, Lennie?"

"I have to get a running start." I explain nonchalantly, and Luke twists his face in confusion.

"For what?" He looks to me for an explanation, but I break into a sprint towards him instead. Once I'm only a couple of feet from him, I use what little athletic ability I possess to jump and latch onto him.

Luke laughs from surprise as he wraps his arms around my waist, while my legs wrap around his torso to steady myself. He spins us around with a gleeful smile on his face, and all at once, I remember just how much I truly missed my best friend.

"Are you gonna kiss me or just stare at me all day?" He asks with a playful smile. I roll my eyes at his needy question and lean down to close the space between us.

Dammit, this is what I was afraid of.

It feels the same. Even though we are in a "real" relationship now, this kiss feels just as staged as any other one. There's no spark, as cliche as that may sound, but it's true. Though it's a pleasant experience, my heart doesn't burst with glee like it should at the feeling of Luke's lips.