On My Own (monologue)

Eponine has just found out that the guy she likes has asked another girl to prom. As she walks home from school she talks about her feelings for this guy.

I hate him! No, I love him. Ooh, I don't know! I love him, and yet the attention he pays me is cold. Distant. And how does he repay me after I helped him find that two-a-penny, good for nothing thing whom he 'claims' to love? He repays me by being an asshole to me and then

he asks her to prom. (groans angrily) Why am I so stupid? Because I couldn't bear it. I couldn't bare to see him suffer. He was desperate! He wanted her and so I led him to her. 

Oh, I hate him for loving her. I hate him for the pain he has caused me. So why does he still talk to me? So he can have someone to shoot cold looks at whenever I get close to his girlfriend? So he has someone he doesn't have to utter a kind word to? And so he can continuously break my heart by being with that whore. And yet, deep down, I still love him.

I've lived for those few, those rare, those happy moments when I was in his company! For those fare to few times he had erased the pain, the horror of my life!

Good God, I don't know what she sees in him. I guess it could be his intelligence and his good looks! And the way he looks at her. Ugh! It makes me sick. I wish he looked at me like that. And the way they're always all over each other. It's just disgusting.

I love him. Despite the times he's bitter, rude and arrogant when I'm around he's actually not that bad of a guy. On his good days, that is. And somehow all his 'good days' are when he's with his girlfriend. Still, I can't see why he'd rather have her than me. I guess it's because she's happy, rich, beautiful and blond. Oh, the blond ones. All the good guys fall for the slutty blond girls. How could ANYONE ove a sad, ugly street urchin like me.

Perhaps she deserves him more than I. As much as I hate to admit it. He loves her. She will make him happy. And yet, I can only dream he will one day love me but that is just a mere infatuation as I know that will never happen. He will be happy, I will be happy, and happiness shall make my life good again, and the world shall be a wondrous place! For I can only hope...only dream...only wish. Perhaps someday...but until then...even to the day I die...I'll still love him. On my own.