Chapter One - Eye Check

"We're here!" Dad said softly as I wrote in my journal.

Once upon a time, there was a girl named Zoe Black. She had freckles the size of the sun, and teeth like tusks. Her hair was the  color of dirty cement. She was lonely and ugly. One day, her super hot crush asked her as a joke. When she met him at a pizza place, he and his friends threw three pizza boxes at her.

"Get out of the car!" He snapped. "Okay, okay! I'm coming, I'm coming!" I set my journal down gently on my seat as I got up. I hopped out of the car and slammed the door. "Now, go get your glasses." He pushed me towards the eye doctors. I didn't want to go to the eye doctors. But, he made me. "Anabel Smith? Last call, Anabel Smith?" A lady at the front desk called as I pushed the doors open. "I'm here!" I growled in an irritated voice. "Go right on in," She opened a door that said, "EYE CHECK" in big, black, letters.
I entered the room, and saw a rather tall man checking papers.

"Oh, hello, Ms. Smith," He greeted as I sat down in a chair. "I'm Mr. Ingam, nice to be at your acquaintance." He put his hand out for me to shake, but I decided not to shake it. "Okay, well, time for the chart." He said, frowning. I smirked. I had memorized the chart last night so that I wouldn't need glasses. He pulled out a chart that started with a Q. I had memorized a chart that started with a T. I thought every chart was the same. Crap.

"Start," He commanded, tapping the first letter with a stick looking thingy.

"Q, E, Z, U, E, R, O, K, T," I tried. I knew I got them wrong. After I was done with the chart, Mr. Igam stared off into space. "Your eyesight is really bad. You will need the best glasses." He stated, starting to look through a red box full of thick glasses. I groaned. If I had to get glasses, I would of wished they were at least thin rimmed. But, nope! I don't have a Fairy Godmother who helps me.

He finally took out thick, caramel colored glasses. They were squared, not round, like I had hoped. I groaned once again. Though, the color was pretty. But, I would still look nerdy. He let me try them on, and then I bought them, leaving as quickly as I could.

"Use them wisely," I heard as I opened the door.

Whatever that meant.