the day of & paralyzed

Nanny’s POV*

  After a long summer day, the sun was finally setting, leaving outside to look dark & lonely . I was performing a daily task, flaming the candles that lined the corridor of the royal Villefranche Family Estate. Today had been a stressful day for everyone. The sound of all the yelling was still ringing in my ears, haunting me. No matter how hard I tried to calm myself, I still couldn’t help but be worried for Vanadisa’s sake. She had upset her mother, Greta, again by refusing to take hand in marriage, in order to gain the throne. But Vanadisa had made it clear that she did not want to marry, nor did she want to be Genovia’s new Queen. "That's not for me!" she repeated several times that day.

She had taken up after her grandmother, which she is named after. They were both…  so different from most women in the country. I still remember the day she was born, she looked so much like her grandmother with that flaming red hair & icy blue eyes that we had to name her after her, their personality was much alike too . If I hadn't known any better, I would think she came from the dead & possessed the poor girl.

 A desperate scream brought me back to reality. I knew right away where it was. I started running to where I knew her room was. I came to a halt when I saw Greta, on her knees, pounding at her daughter’s door. In that moment I knew, whatever was happening behind that door, she greatly wanted to put an end to it – quickly. Greta’s pounding became louder each passing second.

 With a shaky hand, I dug out the key to Vanadisa’s room from the pocket of my poofy dress. I felt my heart beat speed up as the lock turned, signaling the door was open. I used my foot to push it back, my hands too numb to do anything. Greta ran in, looking for her daughter. I was too paralyzed with fear to move, wondering what would happen when she found her. My ears heard the answer several seconds later, when a bone-chilling scream came from within the room. It was clear, something terrible had happened.

"Vanadisa!" I yelled, but was still to paralyzed with fear to move closer.