Like Ice

Taking the first step in a relationship, weather it's in a friendship or a loving couple, is like walking on ice. If you are too careful, don't put any weight on your step, you won't get anywhere. If you jump right into it, you probably will fall in deeper than you ever imagined and might drown in what you find. Every step you take, you have to trust in them entirely and you can't jump to conclusions. Taking baby steps is probably the best option. If they fall out underneath you, maybe you went to fast. Maybe they just weren't ready for commitment. That does happen sometimes, when they're too young or unprepared and aren't strong enough. Even after they start trusting you a little, don't  ever believe that you're walking on something solid  and can run around all you want. One crack you make in their heart will be there for sometime and sometimes they'll need some space to heal. Don't take it as you'll never walk there again, maybe after a week you can start testing your waters, start your baby steps all over again.

Once they start to trust you enough maybe their outer shell will melt and you'll slowly see who they are. Maybe you'll be able to go swimming through their life story, hearing of all of their memories. If you splash and play too much you might lose a memory. Sometimes forgetting is good and helpful. Sometimes not.

Taking the first step into a relationship will always be hard to start but just think of all of the stories you'll miss out on if you were to give up.