Wanting Fire: Chapter 1

"Eris you have to keep up!" Bob called as I trudged over a log and almost fell into a hole.

Hiking is fun she said.

Keep you away from the thought of our divorce she said.

Also you won't remember anything about your brother dropping out of college and driving a food truck across the country she said.

Well it just makes it worse I say.

The tangles of vines remind me of arguments and chaos of broken love.

The thought of food reminds me of hamburgers, then my brother.

It's hard to hike while I'm so petite, smaller than the average teen.

There are mostly people in their 70s here, and they're doing better!

We come across a massive ledge of boulders and I sit on one, tired.

"Eris-" my guide, Bob, whines but I cut him off with a snap of my wrist as I lift my arm in the air.

"I'm taking a break. Got it? Go on, I'll be fine," I snapped and he sighed, turning and helping the elderly up and hiking away.

I sit for a second, in thought, then stand.

Or try to stand.

One foot slides in a crack and the other flies in the air, making me fall on my back with the other foot still in the crack.

Great.

"Bob!" I call, but no reply.

Ding dong, who's there?

BAD FREAKIN' LUCK JUST SMACKED ME IN THE FACE.

A rustle of leaves carries my attention and I squeeze my eyes shut.

"If a bear...wolf...chipmunk or anything is about to kill me, at least let me get my new shoes out of this mess."

"Okay."

Did someone just-

I open my eyes to see... him.

He looks like he just came from a modeling trip.

Black hair ruffled, fair smooth skin, coffee-brown eyes, converse sneakers, ripped jeans, and a white Nike shirt.

"...God?" I mumble, looking at him in confusion.

"No. I'm just your average teen."

He puts out his hand and I softly put mine in it. With unknown strength, he pulls me free gently.

"And how did you get stuck in there?" he asked as he let my hand go and I made an awkward snort in my throat. "Bob went bye then I fall," I chuckle/snort/squeak/mumble-like-a-drunk-hobo.

"Do you know where Bob is going?" he asked, more softly. I pointed at a wooden shack I could see from up there.

"We'll have to go find them then," he touched my shoulder and smiled.

"Follow me."

I followed gladly.

🌺This is the end of chapter one peeps! Stay tuned for chapter two!🌺

- @_Pablo_