Chapter 1

*I do not own Willy Wonka, Willy's father, the Loompians, Charlie, Charlie's family, or any other cast characters from the movie "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".*

(I wanted to be original with my story, and so ignore if I upset the timeline for some events, I had difficulty.)

Him:

    One day I don't remember her is not today or yesterday, or the day before that, or the day before that. She always attracts my mind, even when my mind is busy. I wonder things about her. I only know she is in her late thirties, close to my age, and her name is Lila Singerton, a lawyer's daughter. I remember her strawberry blonde hair, her striking green eyes, and her lovely white smile. She was breathtaking, even at only nine years. I felt drawn to her from the first day I met her, friendly or not. Yet she was always friendly and kind-hearted, simply nice to everyone.

     How do I put it? She had almost a sweet essence about her, almost as if she didn't have a mean bone in her body. Anytime she saw anyone poking fun at me she simply walked up to them and talked to them. Although she had a pleasant disposition as she spoke they always looked riddled at her response. I had asked her once what she said but she simply smiled and told me, "They won't bother you again." And they didn't. Lila didn't lie.

Memories drape me in a pleasant fantasy that I don't so much as hear Mr. Johnson approach me.

"Sir.." he begins, jumping when I jump, startled by the interruptance.

"Oh, Mr. Johnson, whew! You about scared me to pieces." I say completely startled.

He simply nods in apologetic astonishment and hands me a letter.

To William Wonka

Hmmm....must be important. Nobody uses the fullness of my name, not even Lila...Goodness! I've got to get her out of my brain! She just calls me Will...What, again?! I think.

Mr. Johnson tips his head. "Good day, sir."

I nod and look back to the letter. Fancy script is heading the beginning before it turns into a tiny print a mouse could barely read. I grab my large magnifying glass and glare down at the text, hardly paying attention as I read.

And it would be in our best interest...blah-blah-blah...We would like a time to meet...blah-blah-blah...A large sum for the factory. I stop on that and look more closely at the words. What! These men will stop at nothing to obtain what I rightfully own! I think angrily. I rip up the letter and throw the pieces at my drop hole garbage can. I sneer at the can as if it were it's fault. If anyone should obtain my factory it would be Charlie, and Charlie only. I smile at the thought of Charlie who is so young and vibrant, full of ideas. Without a second thought my mind flashes to a memory of Lila and me, fourteen years old.

Memory:

    "Wouldn't it be amazing Will?! I can see our own place, full of chocolate and our dreams," she sighs as we stare longingly at Champ's Chocolate Shop and all of the delicacies served there.

    Our eyes wander to the signature chocolate covered strawberries with lovely white drizzle. I notice, this time, hearts are drizzled on instead and I am reminded that Valentine's day is almost upon us. I sigh and glance her way to watch the most beautiful girl stare at her expectations for her life. She has been my crush since I met her and I still don't know how to tell her to this day.

    Green eyes look my way and a happy smile lights up her whole face. She looks at the shop and to me expectantly.

    "Look what da gave me today." She holds out a few coins and I lose my smile at the realization of what she's thinking.

    I shake my head.

    "That's your allowance for this week, you should keep it today and keep saving for the shop." I smile sadly at her and push her hands away.

    She had told me she wanted to earn her dream and together we could save to become partners as chocolate makers. I know she hid away her coin from her father and never told what it was for. I don't want her to give up her dream by spending it on one whimsical act.

    She rolls her eyes and adds, "Only some of my allowance, come Will, one time. I would love to taste at least a nibble of what we could become."

    Her large green eyes melt me. I can never stop Lila from what she wants to do. I don't think anyone can really, only her father.

    I sigh. "Fine then, but let's be discreet..." I don't finish as she drags me into the shop, joy bursting at the seams.

    She sighs with contentment as she walks in and intakes the scent of chocolate. I can't help but do the same. I wonder why the most delicious thing in the world is the one thing my father despises.

    She bounces to the counter with a light step and immediately tells the cashier what she wants. She smiles brightly as the kind man hands a small box to her. I look sadly as she hands over the coins. The two faces of the strawberries greet us as we step outside and take a bite. The richness of the chocolate and simple sweetness of the strawberry makes us both grin with delight. I swear it was the most amazing thing I've ever eaten, even ever since my first taste of chocolate.

    "All worth it, I think" She giggles.

    I laugh with her, just happy to be in her presence.

    The memory fades and I sigh at the thought of her. Anytime I feel distressed or overworked I think of all the memories I've had with her and fall into complete bliss.

Her:

    I mix quickly and efficiently as the white ooze begins to take on it's heavenly form. I drizzle some onto the fudge. I smile and take in the aroma. Nothing beats the marshmallow drizzle. Well except me...Ha! I made a funny, I think and giggle a little to myself at my ridiculousness.

    I finish drizzling and take a good look at my work. The nicely cut circles, hearts, and flowers are beautiful with the contrast of dark fudge and white drizzle. I call them S'more Fudge Please...I wonder what Will would think of that one.

I take in a sharp breath and remind myself that Will isn't here to tell me what he thinks. Even after all this time I feel almost lost without his good intentional ways. Ever since he was successful in the chocolate business I was on the edge of my seat, waiting for him to call for me. Although he hid from the world to hide who knows what, he should know he never had to hide from me. I hadn't heard from him in over twenty years. I had been very hurt by  his sudden move and never hearing from him. It was like he never wanted to include me in his chocolate adventure at all. I close my eyes at the painful reminder.

I snap out of my stupor as I hear LuAnne call for me. I nod and carry my fudge proudly to the front of the shop. With or without Will, I'm going to keep on with my dream.

I set the tray inside the glass box as customers stop to look at my creations. I have to say, they are a hit with the crowd. Several people begin ordering the treat as soon as I lay them down. LuAnne walks up to the register and grins brightly as people crowd around to pay. She looks my way and yells, "Keep em' comin'!"

I grin. They need me here anyway.

I rush away to the back to whip up another batch. I hum as I work, completely ignoring the outside world.