Project Restoration

Entry 1, September 12, 2236

My name is Jonathan Kelutsky. I am keeping this journal to record my experience as a participant of Project Restoration. It is my duty to purge this world of the plague that has taken so many lives, including my mother's. As of today I have finished my training, and am now heading out to make a difference in this dying world. My assignment is to liberate 25 infected people within six months. This is a daunting task, but the commander didn't say it was gonna be easy!

Entry 2, September 17, 2236

In less than a week, I've already liberated two infected! Their symptoms were very obvious, even from a half mile away. I didn't even need my scanner to identify the illness. The first infected was a woman, probably around the age of thirty, although it was difficult to tell because of the progression of her illness. She displayed the typical symptoms; extreme weight loss, pale skin, sunken eyes, labored breathing, just to name a few. The second infected was a man, probably a bit older, but again, hard to tell. He had the same symptoms as the female, but he was in even worse shape than her. It's a wonder he was even still alive by the time I got to him!

Liberation count: 2

Entry 3, September 30, 2236

I had a side task assigned to me besides liberating the sick. Terra-forming. I was given 40 small potatoes to plant within the first two months of my journey. These potatoes are different than the ones we had before the war. These ones are super potatoes. They're able to grow in almost any type of soil, even sand! They are the same potatoes my father helped to develop through genetic modification. I'm now planting them out in unpopulated areas in hopes that the potato plants may stimulate the development of a new ecosystem. Since we have very mild winters now, these potatoes should start growing right away.

Liberation count: 3

Entry 4, October 19, 2236

In the beginning of the month, I liberated a group of three infected. They were very aggressive, and I didn't even spot them until they tried to ambush me. Luckily, I was able to liberate all three fairly quickly since they were so weak from the sickness. I guess it just goes to show what that disease can do to your mind. It causes you to turn on your fellow humans.

Liberation count: 6

Entry 5, November 3, 2236

They act like they're afraid of me. I don't get it. Don't they understand I'm trying to help them? Commander said the plague virus takes away your humanity. He said the sick are unable to think rationally. If this is true, then why do these people act the way they do? They aren't the zombie like beasts my higher ups led me to believe. They are just as afraid as I am. Is liberating them really the right thing to do?

Liberation count: 8

Entry 6, November 29, 2236

I suppose even if the disease isn't exactly what I originally thought it was, it's still deadly and the best thing for the infected is for them to be liberated. It gets very hard at times. I know these people are still human, but I still believe I'm doing them good. They were just going to die anyways, probably in a very agonizing way. I'm sparing them from that pain, so that doesn't make me a murderer, does it? Of course I'm not. I am doing something good for humanity. If Project Restoration keeps this up, soon this dreaded sickness will be eradicated off the face of the earth!

Liberation count: 12

Entry 7, December 4, 2236

I think my scanner might be broken. Every single survivor I come across tests positive for the virus according to my scanner. How can that be? They all look and act completely healthy. I have decided I'm going to head back to base in order to get my equipment checked out by the higher ups.

Liberation count: 13

Entry 8, December 10, 2236

Today something interesting happened. I found myself in one of the ghost towns I passed through a couple of months ago, and I met a girl. She was scrounging the entire city for any traces of food without much luck. I remembered the potatoes I planted nearby a few months ago, and tried to tell her. She wouldn't trust me at first. She said she saw people wearing my uniform doing terrible things. I told her I'm not like the rest of them. I was only passing through because my scanner was broken. I showed her the device and scanned her to show it wasn't working. She tested positive, but I knew she was completely healthy. She opened up to me a bit after that. She told me her name was Linda and she was looking for some softer food for her grandfather who was very sick. I showed her where the potato plants were planted and we dug some up. Linda led me to their home so I could see if her grandfather was sick with the plague virus. Even though my scanner was broken, I was trained to identify an infected person without using equipment. Unfortunately, when we got home, her grandfather had already passed away. I could tell that he died from the plague. Linda was distraught, and I tried to explain to her that there wasn't anything we could have done. The plague virus is nearly 100% lethal once contracted. I helped Linda cremate her grandfather, as that's the only way to dispose of an infected body without spreading the disease. I decided I was going to stay with Linda for a while, to help her cope with her grief, and to make sure she didn't contract the virus from her grandfather.

"Hey Jonathan, what are you reading?" I jumped as I felt a pair of arms loosely wrap around my shoulders.

"Ah, Linda you startled me. I guess I'm not used to being around people yet ha," I mused. Linda giggled, "Sorry, but seriously, what is that? I haven't seen a book in ages," She tilted her head curiously.

"It's just a journal I kept during my wanderings..." I trailed off as I looked out to the horizon, remembering the terrible things I've done.

Linda shifted on her feet uncomfortably. She knew I didn't like to talk about what happened before I met her. She pushed a lock of fiery red hair out of her slate colored eyes and turned to look at me.

"Jonathan... I meant to ask you..."

"Mhm?" I mumbled while doodling in the back of my journal.

"Well, why do you still wear that mask around me?" she leaned against the wall. I had almost forgotten about the mask I always wore. It was assigned to me by Project Restoration in order to protect me from the infected. It is generally thought that the plague virus was airborne, and affected the respiratory system. I tugged at the mask's strap, something I habitually did when deep in thought.

"Hmm. I don't really know to be honest. It's not that I think you're sick, I know you're not... It's just that after wearing it for so long I kinda never thought to take it off," I finally said. I never took off the mask unless I was eating. I was still careful to never get to close to Linda while we ate together though. I'm not sure what it was, maybe instinct. I knew for sure Linda didn't have the plague. I've been living with her for nearly two months after her grandfather died, and she has shown no symptoms.

"I think it's about time you take that ugly thing off then," she said in a sing song voice. Linda hopped in front of me and then carefully undid the straps of my mask. She took it off slowly as if she were revealing a new piece of artwork.

"You act like you've never seen my face before," I chuckled.

Linda smiled and said, "Yeah, but I've never done this before," she stood up on her toes and she kissed me.

I stood there dumbfounded, and it must have been obvious on my face because she just giggled and skipped away.

"I'm gonna go start supper, ok?"

I smiled at her, "Ok"

The next morning, I felt terrible. My head was swimming and it took every drop of my motivation to sit up in bed. When I did my body was wracked with a series of harsh coughs.

"M-my bronchitis must be back," I mumbled, groaning. I struggled to stand up, and nearly blacked out when I took a few steps. Eventually I made it to the bathroom. I was again attacked by the hacking coughs. When I opened my eyes, I was shocked to see crimson drops on the porcelain of the bathroom sink.

What? Why am I coughing blood?

I looked in the mirror and my blood ran cold. All the color from my skin has faded. My eyes have sunken in their sockets and I looked more dead than alive. Realization crashed onto me like a ton of bricks.

My scanner was never broken after all.