One

The large hood shielded his face from the passers-by as he took his time walking down that main street, taking in all the details he possibly could; the little alleys between stores, the quickest way to leave town and the high points he could use to his advantage.

His plan played over again in his head, predictions and calculations that would be for nothing if he couldn't draw the key component to this little town. But from the stories he had heard from other hooded figures, it's in those people's nature to come running when they hear about this town, running right into his trap.

It was their willingness to help people that made him despise them in the first place but when he had learned about a certain member it made him disgusted.

Disgusted that they had turned one of the best, most smartest and skilled thief in history soft, they had completely changed who he is into the kind of person he used to laugh at.

But no matter, the hooded figure thought, he'll realize who he truly is and destroy the people that wanted to redesign him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I don't see what you're complaining about, we got the job done, we saved those people and all I did was get my own payment." Ezekiel slid the diamond ring onto his own finger. "And it looks good on me."

Eve sighed. "We don't get payed for what we do, knowing that we help people is enough."

"That doesn't make sense, we basically save the world all the time and don't get even a 'thank you'? I think we deserve a little bit of credit or you know-," he held up the ring, "-something expensive."

Before she could debate with him again or even get the ring back Ezekiel ran off to wherever he goes.

As the Librarians and their Guardian were leaving a town after helping them out with a magical issue Ezekiel saw fit to grant himself a reward for his help; in simpler terms, he stole from the person they just saved. It was so quick and sudden Eve hadn't noticed until after they'd gone back through the door.

"I don't know why you seem surprised anymore," Jenkins said.

"I just thought that after what happened last week would change him, even only a little bit," Eve replied. "I don't believe he completely forgot what he went through. That kind of thing will change a person."

"Well even if he does remember," Jenkins said, "he's not going to let anyone know."

Eve asked, "What do you mean?"

"Mr. Jones isn't the kind to talk about his feelings, so whether or not he does remember he wouldn't let us know."

Eve shook her head. According to Ezekiel himself, he had witnessed the others die countless times over and over again. He willingly sacrificed himself once they had gotten to safety, but after they brought him back he claimed to have no memory of the event.

Although Eve didn't completely believe him she didn't push him to talk.

Later, as Cassandra sat atop a desk within the Annex with an ancient book across her lap, the Clippings book flipped to a new page by its own accord.

She excitedly leaped off the desk and hurried over to the book.

Multiple news articles were scattered across the pages, each one dedicated to a missing person. The time of their disappearances varied from days to weeks.

It didn't take her long to gather up the others, and as Jenkins directed the Back Door to their new destination, Stone asked, " Where are we going?"

"Wintervale," Cassandra replied bubbly.

Ezekiel's breathing hitched for a split second, but as it went unnoticed by the others he quickly regained the arrogant confidence people characterized him with. He could only tell himself it was a mere coincidence. He prayed it was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What do you mean? Quinn went on a fishing trip. Why would you think he's missing?"

"Because you're the one that reported it."

"No, you've got it wrong. I think it's time you leave."

The woman was quiet forceful as she shooed the Librarians out of her home.

"Well that went well," Ezekiel said sarcastically.

The woman was the last person they questioned, now they had more questions than answers. Each family refused to admit they reported someone missing, all believing that their loved one was merely out of town for a trip.

"Someone obviously didn't want anyone getting suspicious, they must have altered these people's memories," Cassandra said.

"What do we do now?" Stone asked.

"We'll figure it out." Eve started walking, the rest quickly falling in stride.

They walked through the town, there were no signs of any disturbance.

Ezekiel took a glance into a store as they passed and what he saw in the reflection made him take a second look.

His heart skipped a beat, time slowed to a standstill, and suddenly he was fourteen again; seeing the most stunning person, and feeling like his world won't be complete until he was near them.

His raven hair was unkempt like always, the tangled mess stuck out in every direction.
The sea-green eyes Ezekiel had spent years drowning in, long enough to learn every curve and crease that appear with every emotion in his golden brown skin.

Then he smiled. And he crumbled.
The same smile that sent Ezekiel tumbling when they first met, the smile that could lit up a city, the light in all of Ezekiel's darkness.

His name almost went through Ezekiel lips but time sped up again, the bliss he felt disappeared as did the sea-green eyes.

He was thrown back into reality, along with the crushing knowledge of the messy hair.

The death haunted him. He flinched at loud bangs, the sight of the colour red made him sick, silence only allowed the noises louder.

"Jones?"

His mind snapped back to the present.

"What?"

"Were you listening?" Eve asked.

He shook his head, but as Eve explained their plan again Ezekiel couldn't focus.

The golden skinned boy plagued his mind.

The golden skinned boy that died eight years ago.