This Broken World

They say that when a heart breaks, so does a bit of our world; every broken heart manifesting itself on the surface of earth as a fissure, a valley, even tiny cracks on the sidewalk. It makes me wonder, how can the world hold so much pain, so much heartache, and still be in one piece? Sometimes i sit and make stories about the heartbreaks that the cracks show. Some are happy healthy relationships, others are dysfunctional from beginning to end, they all are different in ways, but all the same in the end. 

The broken hearts that manifest in these cracks are caused by all types of pain. The tiniest crack on my sidewalk tells the story of the broken hearted six year old girl who told the boy that, she had a child's crush on that she liked him, only to have the boy say ¨eww, girls are gross!¨ and run off. The long, shallow one at the end of the street is for the book smart girl who fell in love with the popular quarterback and told her beautiful cheerleader friend how she felt about him, only to find the next day the quarterback in a lip-lock with the cheerleader behind the school. Two beautifuls in a world full of averages come together. The scar of a crack in front of the beautiful honeymoon spot depicts the fractured heart of the man who spent fifteen years thinking that he would spend his life gazing at his amazing wife, only to have her whisked away by disease. The jagged,deep wounded looking crack shows the love of a mother who lost her son, the age of ten, to gang violence because she couldn't afford to move somewhere safer. She'll forever blame herself for something she couldn't possibly control.