How it Started

Chapter I.

We just sat there hand in hand, not one of us trying to escape from the fantasy. We looked at each other almost like it was the only thing we ever wanted to do. Her eyes were the evening sky, her face glowed as the moonlight caressed her cheek and those lips (don’t even get me started with that beautiful piece of specimen).

“I love you” she said. And I knew it was crystal, nothing held back. She said it so pure and true it made my heart bounce as her lips started moving. My vision was so focused on her lips it made everything else irrelevant, almost invisible.

“I love you, too” I replied and I’ve never been so sure about anything I’ve ever said in my entire life. Maybe it was because of the alcohol, or the moment or just Mary herself.

Someone’s probably in love with you right now, even though you think you’re boring and stupid and smell bad most of the time, someone probably saw you last week and wiped their sweaty hands on the insides of their pockets and thought about your body under your clothing and about how you would look asleep in their bed. Someone’s probably wondering how you act when you’re nervous, or what you think about during the break of dawn and I think that’s a beautiful thing.

That’s how I felt when I saw Mary. I wanted to know how her mind operated, I wanted to know what she thinks about “fried chicken”, or how she reacts when she smells a shot of tequila. I wanted to know how her hair acted when it’s in one of those days, or how she smells when yoga class just finished. I wanted to know her every day routine… I wanted to know every single detail about her.

So starts the story how I (the shy, almost never leaves his door, doesn’t own a cell phone kind of guy) captured the heart of the most beautiful girl in the world (except for my mother who would freak if she sees that I don’t consider her the most beautiful girl in the world).

 Chapter II

I always hated trains and how it smelled. The train was either jam-packed or was too quiet you could hear the conversations of the few passengers, there was no in-between. So when I knew I had to leave town and come see my step mother, I was nothing but frustrated. I’ve had to survive with 5 step mothers and if that’s not bad enough, I’ve had to survive with 10 half-siblings.

I thought maybe this train ride will have less than 5 passengers and that’d be more than perfect. I never liked company when travelling (or company in general). I was better off alone, I had control that way.

When I noticed that nobody had sat beside me I thought “Yes, more legroom and a place for my bag”. Everything was going as planned until a brunette came toward me.

“Is the seat taken?” she quietly said. She was a brunette with eyes that were Pacific Ocean blue. She was wearing skinny jeans, a t-shirt that said “Courage” and converse sneakers. You could tell just by looking at her, she was something special.

“Uh uhm… no. I kind of thought no one was gonna sit here so I just,” I hurriedly took my bag and books from the chair and placed them on the floor. My heart was jumping; I couldn’t tell if it was the rhythm of the train or just the beating of my heart.

She giggled. “It’s fine, really. No need to explain yourself...” she paused and reached out her hand, probably waiting for me to tell her my name. So I did, trying to impress the lady.

“Jake. Or you can call me Jay, whichever you prefer.” And I shook her hand.

“Mary. Not May or Ry or Riri, just Mary.” she smiled a goofy smile and sat down beside me.