Chapter 1

Candles in the window,
Shadows painting the ceiling,
Gazing at the fire glow,
Feeling that gingerbread feeling.

December 1.

Fluffy snowflakes were skirling down the sky upon the castle. The clouds were grayish and heavy and looked like a fat blanket like the one you cover yourself in a cold winter night. But nonetheless, it was cozy and warm. The sun can be seen through the sky as a dim candle fire. It was midday, Thursday. Students clumped in small groups were heading to the Great Hall where they were waited for dinner.

Hogwarts looked like a big white beehive stood out only by its long sharp spires. Young wizards and witches "buzzed" around like little flying insects, making their ways through the fresh snow, leaving footprints. Of course, they were very excited. First of all, the last month of the year has come which meant Christmas holidays are ahead. Then, the Triwizard Tournament gathered pace as the first task had been already covered and the champions were in the headlines of students' discussions.

But there was one person who didn't seem to be fit in the current situation. In fact, he didn't seem to be fit at all. Uncombed, a bit clumsy young man with a suitcase in his right hand and a yellow and blackish cap on his head was standing at the Lake; his eyes stared at the castle. He looked confused but excited at the same time. The bright blue jacket he wore became white in a few seconds: Hogwarts was wrapped in snow storm.

"Alright, - the man thought to himself before making a step towards the school, - at least, I'm in Hogwarts".

***

Ann Miles grabbed her textbooks, grabbed her courage and came to her mentor's table. Herbology lesson with Gryffindor has been over and students were heading to dinner, except her. She waved to her friends in red and yellow scarves and took a deep breath.

"Hm-m-m... Professor Sprout?" – started Ann, rubbing her bag's strap.

"Yesh?" – Professor raised her head to the girl, cleaning dirt and mud on her table with her wand. – "What do you want, my dear flower?"

A young witch felt a flow of warmth in her blood and the fear blew away.

"Professor, would you mind if I go to the quidditch match this Friday? – she babbled briskly. A minute gone since Pomona gave her answer to Ann. She hesitated a bit and then smiled wide.

"I didn't know, miss Miles, you're into sports"

"Actually, I am not into it, professor. – Ann looked down. – A friend of mine is playing for the first time"

"Oh, really? – Professor Sprout put her wand in her robe – Then I think you should go and support your friend"

The girl slightly jumped with joy. She thanked her mentor and rushed out the greenhouse.

***

The Great Hall was all lighted up with hundreds of candles under the magical ceiling accompanied with ones on Christmas trees and fireplaces. The scent of holidays drifted in the air and everything seemed fantastically joyful. Even Slytherins shared smiles and laugh. Draco Malfoy, in his new – satin – robe, was telling a story about him and Victor Krum picking poisoned toadstools the other day in the Forbidden forest. Even though everyone supposed that Krum would have never ever chosen picking mushrooms over his daily workout and training for the next task of the Tournament, they listened to the blondie, their mouth opened.

"And then a huge creature jumped in front of us! It was a DRAGON!"

"Aaah!.."

Slytherins burst out of laugh. Their fellow student of the third year, a fair-haired girl in an oversized sweater, was the only one to shout out loud as Draco said "dragon". He turned his head to the girl and smirked. Then he continued the story.