The Mother Figure...

Eavesdrop by The Civil Wars plays during the opening titles and through to the first scene. After the second “Just hope” where the music slows down again, the first scene begins, the first scream should be heard at the end of the song and should be the first time the actor playing Chris turns back to face the bakery.

SCENE ONE

A man stands before his bakery, wearing a once white apron now splashed with spots of red liquid. His face is red and bruised, obviously in a large amount of pain. Screams can be heard from inside the bakery, angry screams as opposed to cries of pain along with the sound of objects smashing. A small child lies asleep in the man's arms, her face is calm and peaceful, blissfully unaware of the situation that has just greeted her. The man turns to face his bakery multiple times before the scene ends as if questioning his decision to leave.

SCENE TWO

The camera shifts to a small house in the east of London. It looks like a regular house on a regular street with a small garden full of gorgeous flowers and greenery. The girl from the previous scene has grown up considerably and is sat on the grass with a small black dog with a red leather collar around it's neck. A metal heart dangles from the collar, engraved is the name “Molly.”

Demi: Molly, do you want a treat?

The girl with long blond hair and is six years of age, holds a small, bone shaped biscuit in her hand. The dog sniffs the biscuit a little but unfaised leaves the girl and goes inside. The man that stood in front of the bakery in the previous scene now stands in the door way of the house, listening to his little girl talk to her “imaginary friend.”

Demi: Why doesn't Molly take treats from me? (she pauses as if someone else is speaking before she talks again.) But she takes them from daddy and Ruby...

The camera focuses in on the conversation, a figure is faintly visible but barely, as if Demi is the only person able to see it.

Figure: It is because she hates you. Who could blame her? You are worthless. You are just a child. No one could ever love you. Maybe you should run out into the road as a bus drives down at full speed. Or what about knives? They can be fun. Why don't you pierce one through your father already dead heart.

The figure speaks in a vile sinister tone. The female voice is deep and almost threatening. Demi just sits staring at the ghostly figure, tracing her fingers lightly over the dog biscuit.

Demi: Who are you? (she stands up to face the figure a little bit more yet remains completely calm.) You always appear from no where and say something about my daddy.

Even though Demi is young and vulnerable she is not scared of the figure, she's seen her previously and is in no way faised by her.

Figure: You are mature despite your awfully short years but it is silly of you to assume that I appear from nowhere. I am always here. I see everything, I hear everything and I can feel you becoming slowly insane little gir-

Chris: DEMI DINNER!

Chris is still stood in the doorway watching his daughter, he is becoming increasingly concerned with her “imaginary friend.” Demi turns to face her father, a neutral look tattooed on her face. She looks back at the figure which has now vanished from her sight before slowly walking towards the door, looking back every few steps to see if the figure has returned. She passes her father in the doorway and smiles lovingly at him, reaching her arms out for a hug. He picks up his little girl and holds her tightly.

Chris: I promise I will never let anything hurt you baby.

SCENE THREE

The family of six is sat around the dinner table. Demi and Chris are sat on the right hand side of the table next to each other, Chris' parents, Andy and Tina, are at each end and his elder sister, Rachel, and her daughter, Ruby, are sat opposite Demi and Chris. The dog is sat on the floor between Andy and Chris hoping that they'll feed her a little bit. Music can heard playing faintly in the background but the words and tune aren't noticeable unless nobody is speaking at all.