GOOD GIRLS

She had a brain.

Always stuck to what she believed in.
She dreamt of true love, a home, a husband and children, of living happily ever after.

She was a good girl.

She met someone who made her feel things she had never felt with any other she'd been with.

He was smart, funny, there for her. He made her life brighter. They spoke almost every day and he always checked up on her.

He was a good guy.

She loved him.

He loved her.

They were good together.

Things were going great for a long time. Then it all changed.

He became distant. Contact was less frequent. Phone calls became brief before turning into texts.

She wasn't sure what was going on. She asked and he said things were fine. So she made do with the short visits and even shorter contacts.

She knew something was wrong but her love for him was so strong she never suspected he had another.

The contact from that other came one day. They'd been seeing each other for a while.

And just like that, a good girl's heart shattered into a thousand pieces. Tears fell and never stopped falling for weeks.

It hurt so much.

Everything was over.

The pain didn't go away for months even when things seemed to get better.

He wanted a girl who wore sexy clothes and always looked good at his side, partied, never caring for the good girl who was loyal and waited on him at home, who did good girl things and remained loyal.

It hurt so much.

Her heart wanted her with him but she knew that wasn't a great choice. She was a good girl, not a stupid one.

They still conversed but it was over.

Eventually, she cut him off.

She met someone else a while later, but that heartbreak had damaged her.

She concluded she might not have a husband, a home or children, or live happily ever after, but she tried to stay positive.

But she realised that a lot of good girls got their hearts broken.

Makala Thomas