Logan - 1

Another day in my hood. Where all you see is prostitution on every corner, old ass men slipping dime bags to little children, policemen brutally beating black men to death, may even be at the park and witness a drive-by right in your face. One day i'll make it out of Compton soon enough.

"Logan, get yo ass down here right now and clean this shit up!" my mother screamed

"I'm coming!" I yelled back

I threw all my books to the side and ran down the stairs quickly before I got in trouble. When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I peaked my head around the wall where the staircase and living room was divided to see who was down there. Only to see my alcoholic mother and a broken glass of something she mixed up all over the floor. My baby brother Zakai was crawling near the mess so I quickly ran and grabbed him so he wouldn't cut himself. I moved him to the side while I grabbed a mop and broom.

I got all the strong liquor up off the floor and then swept up the glass that was broken. I dumped the glass in the trash and put the mop and broom back into the closet.

"I'm finished mama," I said "you need me to do anything else?"

She shook her head indicating that she was saying no. I picked Kai up and brought him upstairs with me. I basically took care of him and when I was at school I made sure that I woke up extra early to go take him to my auntie's home until I got out of school.

It was 9:32 pm and around this time of night, my mom would come up here and terrorize us. So I'd make sure Kai was sleep in my arms and would hide in the deepest corner of my closet until 11:00 pm. She'll bust in the room with a stick and belt looking for one of us to beat. Then roam around, throw, and damage anything in her way before she'd sit on my bed and yells "sorry god" at the top of her lungs every single night. Before I leave the closet I look under the door to make sure she isn't in the room anymore. She's asleep now... in her bed.

She used to look so lovely, what happened?
Mommy⬇️

I managed to lay Kai down without him crying so I could shower

I managed to lay Kai down without him crying so I could shower. I plugged my iPhone Xmax into the wall so it could charge as I listened to Dreezy- Wasted on repeat.

I looked in the mirror examining the curves on my body and the way my wet naturally curly hair dripped down my back. I grabbed my brush and brushed my hair into a bun. I dried off my fair colored skin and put on a some undergarments, then threw on a oversized t-shirt. As I walked out the bathroom slowly I snuck inside of my mom's room knowing she still knocked out and looked around for her purse. The TV was on so I had some light. Her LV cross body was laying on the dresser. I quietly grabbed the wallet and grabbed a couple hundreds out and put it back like the way I found it. Our family is on section 8. We shouldn't be but my mom is what you call a fraud. She does hair and does it well, which means she makes good money. She isn't licensed or anything so she does it in the kitchen downstairs. She doesn't have a job either, doing hair illegally in the kitchen IS her job. My father is in jail which gives another reason why we are on section 8. We don't NEED to be on it but we are, which leaves us with extra money to spend. See what I mean by "fraud".