Chapter One

Maybelle Welter looked around the Platform, bewildered and out of place. Around her were loads of girls in the exact same uniform as her. She was certain she was the youngest, too. St. Judith's didn't take girls younger than 12 and Maybelle had only just turned 12.

She jumped, frightened, when a pair of gentle hands landed onto her shoulders.

"Ah petite fille! Are you lost? Are you new? Let me take you to your carriage!" and with that Maybelle was steered off towards a strict looking mistress – but Maybelle noticed she had a slight twinkle in her eyes. "Ah! The good Miss Adams will take care of you, Mon enfant!" and the woman left. The way she kept switching from French and English, Maybelle guessed that she was indeed the French Mistress at St. Judith's.

"Come Along. Maybelle, isn't it?" said the woman believed to be Miss Adams. "I'm Miss Adams. Your form mistress." She crossed Maybelle's name off her list and called over a girl, who came over almost instantly. "Hattie! I have another new girl for you. Take her onto the train, will you?" Miss Adams told the girl.

The girl smiled cheerily at Maybelle, her eyes twinkling mischieviously and dragged her playfully by the arm into the carriage Miss Adams was standing near. "Hallo New Girl! I'm Hattie Abraham." the girl said, sitting down in a corner seat in an empty compartment. "Maybelle Welter." Maybelle replied.