Memories

Running, running, running. Just running. Away from memories, from life, from him. Away from everything she was. She had started her life over countless times; new town, new home, new lies. Still, somehow, it was never enough.

  The memories: relentless, following her, catching her, never giving up. She always remembered. She had lost who she was somewhere along the way, somewhere long ago. But, she always remembered. The times she used to smile, really smile, were gone, long gone, gone with him; forever. Yet still, she remembered. The time, in one perfect moment, when her heart was full of laughter, of love... of him. 

  Foolishness.

  She had let her guard down, she had taken down her carefully put up walls, and the end result was devastating. 

  Foolishness.

  And now here she was on the front porch of her newly bought house with yet another town, another home, and one final lie. Yes. Final. She was weary of the running. Her memories grew heavy on her heart, weighted on her shoulders. She would run no more.

  A soft sigh escaped her lips as she came to this decision, regarding her house with a tired gaze. It was a sigh of relief. Relief, and dread. Just because she stopped running didn't mean her old life would stop chasing, and what happened when it caught up, only time could tell.

  Still, she shut her eyes, deciding to forget. For now at least. Worrying would do her no good, and she had to unpack.