Trust In Me

Charlotte stood outside the door to Floor's apartment, knocking on the door.

"Floor, are you in there?" she called. There was no answer, but she was certain Floor was home. "Floor, it's me, Charlotte. Open the door." Still no answer. "Please, Floor, how long are you gonna hide from me? I want to help," Charlotte called. "Let me in. Let me help you. Please don't shut me out." But the door remained closed. Charlotte leaned against it. "Floor..." On the other side of the door, Floor was sitting by her window, gazing out at the whirling snow, her chin resting on her hand. Two tears slid down her cheeks when she heard Charlotte's voice calling to her. She wanted to open the door and let the other girl in, but she was hurting too much. And Charlotte was only making it worse. She had no idea why Floor was upset, and she was trying so hard to help, but she just couldn't. No one could. Floor would just have to make up her mind to push forward and ignore the pain. She heard Charlotte's voice again. "Floor, what's wrong? Just talk to me. I want to help you, but you're not letting me."

Let her try, a voice in Floor's head whispered. Floor heard herself say,

"Come in." The door opened, and Charlotte walked into the room. She came over to Floor and knelt at her feet. Taking Floor's hand in hers, she pressed it to her lips and softly kissed it.

"Floor, hon, what's wrong? What's got you this upset?" Floor turned and looked at her.

"I'm longing for something I can't have, and that makes me sad," she answered.

"What is it that you're longing for?" Charlotte asked, running her fingers gently over Floor's cold hand. Floor turned away again and looked out the window.

"Love," she whispered, not trusting herself to say more than that.

"Whose love?" Charlotte asked gently.

"Yours." Tears spilled down Floor's cheeks as she said it. She heard a gasp from Charlotte, and suddenly, there was a pair of arms around her.

"Why didn't you just say so?" Charlotte asked.

"I was scared," Floor whispered, her voice choked with tears. Charlotte kissed her cheek.

"You, scared?" she said. Floor nodded.

"I thought you'd reject me." Charlotte gently turned Floor's face toward her, then leaned in and kissed her lips.

"Never," she whispered. "I would never do that. You are too precious to me. I love you too much to hurt you like that, Floor."