-Chapter 1-

January 20th, 2018. 11:07 pm.

[Jai]

"Where is he," I say bursting through the double doors with Sophie following close after.

"Ma'am I need you to sit down and we will get the Doctor over as soon as possible."

"No I want to see him now. Where is he," I say holding back my tears.

"Ma'am you don't understand," Sophie says out of breath, "we're family."

"You can't see him. He won't be up for another hour," the nurse says politely.

"Is there any way we can wait for him to wake up in his room?"

The nurse has a look on her faces as if she's thinking about it. I feel my heart rate speed up and my breathing get faster. As my cheeks start to heat up, I hold in my emotion making sure the nurse doesn't see me cry.

"Let me see what I can do," the nurse nods walking down a long hallway away from the lobby.

"Call your parents," I say putting my head between my knees trying to catch my breath.

Soph runs to the window and pulls out her phone. My heart starts pounding the faster every second I'm not with him. I look down at my shaking hands. I find myself just staring at the ring he gave me two years ago.

"Alright mom and dad said they'd be here in 20 minutes," Soph said sitting down next to me.

Staying quiet, I continue to stare at the ring.

"Jai, he's gonna be okay."

"I just need to see him. I should be in there holding his hand, telling him everything is going to be okay, telling him that no one blames him," I say with tears now rolling down my face, "I should be in there telling him I love him."

I feel Sophie grab my hand. I look at her and try to smile the best I can.

"He's going to be okay. He always is but you know he is going to be a million times better the second he sees you," Soph says with a single tear running down her face, "he loves you so much."

I wipe my tears and squeeze her hand tighter. I kiss the back of her hand. She puts her arms around me and lays her head on my shoulder. For the next 20 minutes we wait for Kiva and Francis sitting impatiently. I look up at the clock on the other side of the room that reads 11:30 when Kiva and Francis run into the lobby. Sophie and I run to give them both a hug.

"We got here as soon as we could," Kiva says hugging me so tight that I could have lost oxygen.

"Thank you," I say in a shaky tone as Fran kisses the top of my head.

"Are you okay," Kiva asks putting both her hands on my cheeks giving me a kiss on my forehead.

"That doesn't matter. I just need to see him," I say trying my best to keep myself together.

"How long have you two been waiting," Fran asks as Sophie gives him a hug.

"About half an hour but it's felt like a century," she sighs.

"Rapattoni's," the nurse asks looking at us, "you can see him now."

I look back at the people who have become my family. Kiva and Sophie grab each side of my hands as we all walk together down the hallway. My heart breaks as we get to a window outside of his room. I feel tears run down my face as I see him hooked up to a bunch of machines. I fall to the floor covering my mouth as my tears become streams running down my cheeks. I open my mouth but no words come out. I tried to speak but the only word I can manage to squeak out.

"Dalton"