The First Meeting

Mumbai monsoons were back and as is the case with rains, for some it brings a much desired respite while for others it spells gloom, for some it is romance lurking round the corner while for others it enhances the hassle of carrying out their daily activities. Everyone looks at it through the colored glass of their own circumstances. Mumbai rains are no different; some cherish the freshness of walking on seaside amidst splashing waves or immediately take-off to the nearby hill stations, while others feel irritated by the traffic jams and water logging. On a usual day, driving in his car, Chinmay would have loved to see blurred images of people passing by and refracted tail lights shining on his dashboard. Today, he was deriving a strange sadistic pleasure looking at the droplets collecting to form narrow streams flowing over his windshield and then a sudden hit by the wiper thwarting their attempt to reach the bonnet. Maybe the mean argument with his boss was the reason or that lonely feeling off-late; the traffic jam to Andheri wasn't helping either. His college friends had planned a night out at a dance-pub off Carter road; he was unsure if he wanted to join in but he wasn't sure if he wanted to go home either. Moreover, he hadn't carried a change and was still in his office formals. Acting on impulse, he took the next exit towards Milan subway and headed back to Bandra, initially towards the appointed place of get-together but on second thoughts, to a place lesser known, all alone. May be he needed to unplug for a while and spend some time with himself.

A sudden burst of loud music hit him the moment he got himself inked and entered the pub. He was surprised to see that the place was still not so bustling yet though; good for him, he thought. It looked decent with the dusky lighting and freshly enhanced decors though not that big but then Mumbai is not about large open spaces. However, maybe they could have done away with those fog and bubble machines. He looked around to absorb his surroundings. Accidentally, and to his dismay, he bumped into an old acquaintance, Shashank. With the customary 'Hellos' and 'Long time' sorted, Chinmay immediately excused himself to fetch a drink. He didn't wish to engage into casual conversations, not today. He just wanted to hang around for a while, drink, think through his plans for the week to follow and get going. So he settled on a stool by the bar facing the dance floor. Except for the bartender, him and a few couples who just wanted to use the milieu and drinks as an excuse to get cozy, there wasn't a soul who wasn't talking, dancing or beating his feet to the music. At times, it surprises me how lonely one can be feeling to be sitting desolately in a crowded place like that; as if you are checking on things one last time before entering your own tomb.

Engrossed in his thoughts, his phone, the drink and music, he had almost forgotten about his surroundings. He got up, and while he was wondering where the washroom would be, his gaze halted on her. She wasn't too far, had her back facing him and wore a knee-length deep back cut blue dress with matching kitten heels which went well with her well-proportioned figure and slender legs. Her thick brownish black hairs falling carelessly across her shoulders, bounced every now and then with her moves to reveal the soft smooth muscles of her delicate shoulders and back. As his gaze followed her for a while, he wondered if he had seen her somewhere, but where? He found himself wishing that she would turn so he can see her properly. She did, suddenly so, and spotted him staring at her; thought he saw a glint of recognition in her eyes. Sort of caught in the act, he instantly shifted his gaze and took a quick sip from his glass.

After a while, when he turned back after ordering a repeat, his eyes hovered over to her again. This time for a reason though. Hey! What was she dancing? Not that he was a pro but that wasn't the usual bollywood, hiphop, salsa, etc., looked more like some kind of an ethnic tribal dance form and amusingly it was catching-up with everyone on the floor. Chinmay tried following her across the floor for a while, thought he saw her stop by Shashank and say something, then lost track and got back to checking social media feeds on his mobile. The pervasive recurring feeling that he felt almost everywhere he went that he does not belong here, had suddenly vanished. He wondered if it was the drink.