Pretty Girls

Tonight I went to the bar hoping to relieve some stress. Drown all my doubts and worry with alcohol. I don't plan on getting crazy drunk. Just enough to dull the stress but remember tonight tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow was my internship with an incredible dentist. How a student like me snagged an opportunity like this, I will never know. Sure I am smart and close to top of my class, but I'm nothing special. No accomplishments. No awards. No fancy certificates. I'm just April, the girl who lives alone in an apartment.

It was our professor that recommended me for the internship. He said I had potential and thought I would realize it through the internship. Let's hope so. Otherwise, this will be embarrassing.

I look at the small shot in my hand, swirling the liquid inside of the cup. Without another second, I toss the alcohol down my throat.

My attention turns over to the man across the bar staring at me. I know he's had a few drinks himself since he's been here for a while too. He keeps looking at me but I don't really know what he wants.

For some reason this mysterious man decides to walk over. If it weren't for all the alcohol in my system I would have moved knowing he was definitely a lot older than me, by at least six years.

He sits in the bar stool next to mine and doesn't start by anything. His eyes just stay on me.

"Hey," I awkwardly say trying to break the silence.

I don't know how this whole guy girl stuff works. I had one boyfriend during sophomore year, and I swear he was more into Star Wars than me.

"Hi," he replies back.

His voice was deep. It sounded so nice.

"Pretty girls like you don't come to this bar often," he continues.

"Not unless they want to relieve a lot of stress."

"Stressed huh? How much did you drink?"

"I'm not sure. I can tolerate a lot of alcohol without getting crazy drunk."

"So you drank a lot."

"You could say that?"

"How do you plan on getting home."

"I don't live to far. I just plan to walk back."

"At midnight?"

"I'm sorry, but why do you care?"

"It's a habit based off my job."

"Doctor?"

"Of sorts."

"Okay. Well then doctor, thank you for your concern but I'm just going to be heading out now."

As much as I was drawn to this man, even thought I knew he is older, I couldn't help but feel a little uncomfortable.

I had never met him and he was already asking kind of personal questions.

I grabbed my coat and purse and was turned to the door when I heard, "Can I at least drive you home?"

I turn back around.

"That's very kind of you sir-"

"-sir?" he interrupted. "Call me Christian."

"That's very kind of you Christian, but I will be fine one my own. Plus you've had a drink. It's not safe."

"One beer does not consider me drunk. I'm a good driver. Come on I'll take you."

Without giving me a chance to say anything he leads me to the car. I don't realize I'm doing until he has already opened the car door for me and I'm inside his car.