10.2 The near-hopeless case called the Grimes family

~ Mikael ~

Elija is being annoying as fuck. He really needs to get his shit together, or I will. He's been avoiding his family, while this whole vacation thing was supposed to bring them back together! To mend their broken relationship! But so far, all that has happened is Katherine trying very hard to fit in with everyone and failing very hard, Taylor being the annoying little shit he always has been, and Peter awkwardly hobbling along with everything we do. He's clearly very lost because he doesn't know anyone, but he's not really trying either. My uncle gave up trying to talk to him and my mother has stopped politely declining talking to Katherine. She just straight up walks away. It doesn't seem to occur to Katherine that she isn't interested in speaking with her though, so she keeps trying. But hey, at least she's trying. Elija only spends his time with me and our friends and even if I' wouldn't dare say no to spending time with my boyfriend, he can't avoid his family forever. Not on my watch!

When I spot Taylor walking through the hall, I immediately speed over to him. "Hey, Taylor!" I throw my arm around the guy's shoulder and he narrows his eyes at me. "Uh, hello, Mikael?"

"How's it going?"

"Fine, I guess. What's up with the... uh..."

"Nothing. I just wanted to talk to you about something."

"If this is about Elija, I have nothing to tell you. You probably— No, you definitely know a lot more than I do."

"No, this isn't about Elija. Well, sort of. It's more about you and him and your parents."

"Um, okay? What about us?"

"Well, nothing. That's the point. There's little to no interaction and your relationship is absolutely shit. Fix it."

He scoffs, shaking his head to the side to get the dark hair out of his eyes. "How do you expect me to do that?"

"It's a team effort, isn't it? Time to be the family you never were."

"Why do you want it so badly? We've been fine all these years without the let's-be-a-happy-and-loving-family bullshit. Father should have tried harder and Mother is and will always be a crazy woman."

"And you will always be the annoying, little brother, and Elija will always be a horny idiot, but that's my problem. It doesn't mean you can't talk to each other every once in a while."

"What do you want me to do?" he sighs agitatedly.

"Just talk!"

"Just talk..." he repeats. "How? About what? It's not that simple."

"See, here's the thing, Taylor. Yes, it is. You just talk about whatever comes to mind."

"So you think we should just talk about—pfft, I don't know... freaking telescopes?!"