Heat Haze Days

This story is based on the PV: Kagerou Days/ Heat Haze Days

I wrote this because it was pretty interesting, all originaltiy belongs to Jin, who started the whole Kagerou Project.

         In a neighboring park, sitting on a set of swings was a boy. It was an incredibly great day with fine weather. The boy took out and unlocked his phone and stared at the screen that said August 15th, 12:30, he raised his right hand that held the phone and shielded his eyes as he look at the blue sky brightened by the intense summer sun. It was after a creak of the swing next to him that he turned around and saw a dark haired girl around his age; she had a black cat sitting on her lap. The boy started to speak to her for he had nothing to do on this summer day, after having a conversation with the girl patting her cat, they had become quick friends. “Well, y’know, I kinda hate summer.” She had murmured boldly with a smile right before her jet black cat ran out of her arms towards the road, the girl ran after her cat. It was then that the traffic light had turned glaring red as the cat stopped on the other side while the girl had just reached the middle of the road. A truck that had came out of nowhere sped down the road and slammed right into her, the last sound she made was a scream before her body lay motionless as crimson red liquid started to spread from beneath her. The color and scent of death had covered the truck, the boy and the surrounding area, the boy could only stare at the scene, he could also see the bracelet had fallen off of the girl's wrist, which has now soaking in the crimsom liquid, had shattered into multiple pieces. After a few seconds, with horrified eyes, the boy felt sick and cupped his mouth in order to stop himself from hurling. In the distance, standing near the black cat was a split image of himself, however, he was smiling and his clothes were dyed in bright red and dark black. The mirror image had spoken something which seemed that only the boy could hear, “This is all real”, then the boy’s vision faded to black as he saw his mirror image wave at him with the same smile on his face.

         After a while, the boy’s eyes adjusted to the darkness, there was a wall in front of him. A wall filled with numerous clocks. He then spotted his mirror image standing in front of the wall, the mirror image had raised a bloodied hand an swiped it across the face of one of the infinite number of clock. Shortly after the boy had lost his vision once again.

         The boy had wakened with a start; he was lying down on his bed. He was welcomed by the bright sun, and the rhythms of the crickets and his clocks. What time is it now? The boy had thought as he opened his phone, it read on the screen, August 14th, 12:04 in the afternoon. That day went by and into the next just he had recalled from before, he felt extremely strange with a strong sense of déjà vu, he thought it must have been all a dream until the point where he was once again sitting on the swing set next to the girl with the black cat. His eyes widened as he once again saw the cat run out of the girls hands, and the girl started to get up to chase the cat. With an outreached hand he grabbed onto the girls wrist, the girl stopped and stared at the boy.

“Why don’t we go home now? I’m sure the cat will come back.” The boy said to her and the girl reluctantly followed him, but just as she stepped off the side walk, a bunch of people cried and pointed upward towards the top of a building being constructed. There was a loud groan as giant iron poles fell down, creating a hollow wind chime and a deafening scream; once again a horrific scene had been laid out in front of him. A pole had pierced the girls body, blood was seeping through her middle portion of her body, and once again his mirror image had appeared in front of him as he was running towards the girl, once again laughing with a smile and saying words that only the boy could hear, “this is the real thing” before pushing the boy back. The boy thought he caught sight of the girl saying something and smiling as her life was seeping away just before his vision again faded to black.

         The boy woke up drenched in sweat. “A dream?” He said as he quickly got dressed and hurried towards the park again. When he had reached the park, the girl was sitting in the swings with the black cat in her hands.

“Good morning!” she greeted.

“Hurry!!!!” The boy said as he dragged her out of the park. They were both out of breath as they climbed the stairs of the crossing bridge to get to the other side, but once again his mirror image appeared leaning against the fence at the edge of the bridge, his tiresome eyes glaring at him as he said, “It’s pointless.” The boy then heard the girl give a gasp, he turned around to see the girl was falling backwards, he tried to grab her outreached hand but she was falling too fast. The girl hit the stairs multiple times before finally resting at the bottom, the boy watched with widened eyes at the gory scene in front of him once again. Not before long, his vision was drowned in the blackness again.

“Is the time of the unfortunate incident being only dark to me? I wonder if this period of time keep repeat and repeating itself? It doesn’t matter anymore. Because, I don’t want to wait to see your body turn out like that!” The boy kept asking in subconsciously each time of his numerous fades to blackness in the summer heat.

By the time he realized it, the boy has traveled in this endless, hellish dream for decades. In the world that had the wall of clocks, the numerous clocks had all been stained with blood and was broken by his mirror image, each showing an individual scene that it belonged to. All that’s left is one clock that is left unharmed and unstained, with a final determination to end all of this; the boy was ready to confront it one last time, since there was only one ending to this kind of story.

He is now at the scene where the girl is standing in front of truck. The boy reached out pushed the girl back and took her place instead; the boy welcomed the truck, as it slammed into his body, with a smile. The girl was there staring at the scene with shocked eyes and began to weep, the boy’s body was in the position that she should have been and his own crimson red liquid was splattered on the girl’s dress and around him. Just as life was seeping out the boy, he saw that his mirror image, who was standing motionless in the distance, wasn’t smiling nor laughing anymore, instead, tears were streaming down his face, as if his mirror reflection recalled the moments he had with the girl, and the truth that it was originally him that was constantly dying and was saved by the girl.

“Serves you right” is what he never heard from him. After taking one last look at the girl, he had thought that he saw a mirror image of the girl, who was wearing a sky blue to white dress instead of one that was covered with his blood, standing behind the girl.

As the girl became aware of her surrounding, she saw that there was numerous shattered clocks lying on the floor. Her mirror image was leaning against a wall, she lifted her fist and smashed a clock, which after impact, shattered into pieces.

It was August 14 in the morning, when the girl woke up in her bed. Tears were streaming down her face as she cradled her cat in the early sunlight. Her mirror image was sitting next to her in bed with a smile and watched her as she said three words.

“I failed this time, too.”

Author's Note:

Hi everyone! So this was a short 2 pg or so story. Yes, it was based off of a PV made by the Kagerou Project called Kagerou Days or Heat Haze Days, which was orginally was made by Jin. I personally liked the PV a bit, the overall song was pretty good and how the storyline emphazises the fact of how their fates intertwining and how neither of them wants the other one to die generating this whole nightmare. Apparantly this story was just a side arc of the orginal Kagerou Days, where the two characters in the story was just the friends of the main characters in the Manga/Novel/Up-coming Anime, and that one of them got into a accident and starts the whole loop hole. I understand that the song is in japanese and some readers might not like anime or j-pop that much, i simply was just trying to create my own story version of the PV. Thank You for reading this! Comment and vote plz!