All Good Things

I didn’t know before it happened so don’t hold a grudge. I didn’t know before it happened so don’t hate me. I didn’t know but it was too late when it did happen. But you know what they say, 'All good things come to an End.'

‘Alyssa, why aren’t you excited? Tomorrow we are finally going to find out who we’re going to marry!’ I sigh, my best friend Mia get’s excited over everything. Although, this is probably a reasonable excuse to be excited.

‘What happens if the Councille choose some rotten loser? We’re only seventeen and what are we supposed to do if they’re abusive or alcoholics?’ I ask looking at her, it was probably cruel of me to dampen her mood but I don’t really care.

I don’t want to get married to someone who’s older than me or who could possibly be abusive. I don’t need a husband!

I have Ryan.

I’m not supposed to have Ryan though. When we, the young women of Eagle Mountain, get married we are supposed to be untouched, supposed to be pure. Innocent.

‘Think positive,’ she exclaims, dragging me from my thoughts. Her straight hair flies around her heart shaped face, mimicking the swish of her skirt. I put a smile on my face, trying to appease her.

‘I’ll try.’

I wave goodbye heading home, leaving a surprised and shocked Mia standing alone.

I pull my jacket tight around my body. The higher I climb, the colder it gets.

Eagle Mount Village was surrounded by its name sake. The large peaks of Mount Eagle that are an earthly green in Summer, are white with snow in Winter, a rugged brown in Autumn and in the Spring a never ending Valley of colour. They are both beautiful and haunting, what lies beyond terrify’s me.

Endless nothing, according to the Councille but I stopped believing them long ago. There is one road, if you’d even call it that, out of the village. I’d never been outside the village before, the only people who were even authorised to leave were the Hunters and Guardian’s. There are no phones, no televisions. We learn about technology in History, but the Councille believe that they were the reason for The Fall and anything of the sort as regarded as criminal. Not that we had electricity anymore anyways.

My hair is everywhere, whipping around my face violently. The wind blows cruelly, its howling roar is deafening. It’s freezing.

‘Ryan?’ I call, looking around the clearing, my voice getting lost amongest the wind. I jump as his hands wrap around my waist, his finger tips burn my cold skin. His soft lips trail delicate kisses along my neck and immediately a dark passion begins to form in my stomach, the butterflies fluttering endlessly.

‘Come on,’ he whispers, ‘I have a fire going.’ I giggle as he pulls me into the cave. I look sadly into his beautiful brown eyes as I realise this could be the last time we are together, providing the council don’t pair us. He seems to understand my brooding silence.

'Oh Ryan...'

We lay down on the cave floor, wrapping furry cloth’s around us. We kiss with a passion unrivalled by most, touching and laughing at our own inexperience. The wind can't touch us here, the Councille can'e touch us here, our famillies can't touch us here. Then I break the  rule the Councille made for me and those that came before me.

I would no longer be pure on my wedding day.

I don’t care though, I have Ryan.

Hey, Let me know what you think. :)

Caitlin