Hero

Chapter 1/3: Hero

It was another one of those days that were long and there were still many kids left at the daycare, even though there was an hour left for closing. The kids were engaged in their different activities and you sat at a table with a group of kids and made drawings.

There were three other colleagues at work and they had other activates with a group of kids as well. It was a normal day at the daycare and the kids were happy until they had some small arguments with each other. You worked together with one of your friends from university Seo Yeon, who was around your age. Seo Yeon walked past you and smiled.

The both of you started this work together around the same time and you adapted to the work shortly. Of course it was a great help that you had each other at work and you used each other's knowledge at work.

A while later, when the kids were engaged in the activity you could suddenly smell something smoke. You frowned and got up from your chair and a thick smoke slowly entered the room. Your eyes widened and you hurried to hit on the alarm button.

The alarm was ringing loud and the kids screamed. Your colleague and friend came running into your room

"There's a fire! Hurry and get the kids out" she yelled.

Your heart was beating fast and you looked around you and the kids were running around panicked and scared. You lost the count of the kids instantly and told them to run outside in the yard. "Go to the yard now! This isn't a fire drill"

You took hold of two little girl's hands and hurried them to the exit door.

"Run out to the street with SeoYeon!" you yelled and the kids nodded and ran out.

The room was getting full of smoke and you coughed as you searched through the other rooms. You were sure that the place was vacant now, because you couldn't see nor hear any kid. You then quickly ran out to the street to the kids and your other colleagues.

They were counting the kids and you began to count and read the names of those who were at the daycare.

You noticed that a child was missing and your eyes widened, when you realized who it was.

"Dammit, we are missing a child!"

The siren from the fire trucks could be heard and you could see the fire clearly now inside the daycare.

"I have to get Joo Min out" you exclaimed and ran back towards the daycare.

"____-ah!" Seo Yeon exclaimed panicked as she saw you run back to the fire.

You ran back inside the daycare and to your classroom. The smoke was thicker and you covered your mouth as you searched for the little boy.

"Joo Min!" you called out and covered your mouth from the thick smoke.

"Joo Min where are you!?" you asked and coughed.

You continued searching for the child and you could feel the heat and the smoke slowly entered your lungs. You coughed more and your vision got blurry, but you didn't give up.

You suddenly remembered the playroom, which Joo Min's loves to hide and play in. You ran towards that room in hopes of finding him there safe.

You could suddenly hear the sound of crying. You ran towards the voice and kicked the door open to the little play room. Just as you had hoped Joo Min was there in a corner and he was crying whilst covering himself. Your heart ached upon seeing him there, alone and scared. You hurried to him and pulled him up in your arms.