Treat You Better

Tonight is supposed to your night. Well, you and Audrey's night. Life is just so stressful lately. Finals were looming, projects a blooming and a new girl blowing up your phone all before Christmas break. Needless to say, you missed your girl and that's how you find yourself paying no attention to the gory scene ahead but how her head fits perfectly on your lap.

You've just never noticed how small she is. You know she's a couple inches taller than you but she's so little. She's like the Halsey song your friend won't stop singing; Audrey is bigger than her body. She's titanium cloaked as porcelain, a grenade mistaken for a pear and she's blown her way through all of your walls.

The girl on screen chokes on faked blood that's more like stale ketchup when the murderer appears from behind staring into your soul.

You jump more from your cell buzzing than the killer on screen

Maybe from how Grudge Audrey appeared when she twisted her head to see your phone.

Audrey snatches it off the living room table typing your password in seconds It's honestly not that big of a deal with her. You're nosy. You get it. You can't sit still and normally go through your friends' phone with their okay, so why can't she?

You blush when she opens SnapChat clicking on the girl's name.

The picture stays there for ten agonizingly long seconds.

Your mouth dries,

"Well shit," you croak lost for words.

Audrey stares hard and long at the phone eyes hidden under her hair but you can feel it.

She's furious.

Technically, Audrey has no right to be furious. You're not dating. God, you wish you were but you're not. Everybody jokes about it but you're not. Yeah, you flirt with her. Any human with a brain cell would and maybe she's flirted back but she hasn't said anything to you about feelings. You can't be brave like that. You can't tell her and leave your heart on the line. You're not dating so you shouldn't feel guilty.

But you do.

"That's the one from before. The one that had a boyfriend and still led you on. The one that slept with you and then told you she had a boyfriend. The one that wanted you to be with her when she got a boyfriend? That one?"

You swallow.

"She broke up with him, " you defend weakly.

Audrey sits up then staring at you with heated eyes.

"Let me guess. Someone cheated."

She chuckles low and bitter when you don't respond.

The silence deafens for the next moment as you debate just walking out of the conversation.

Audrey breaks the silence.

"I'm not even dating you and I treat you better than she does."

She touches your shoulder suddenly hesitant.

"I know , if you let me," she rushes through the words. "I would be better than her. I am better than her. I wouldn't cheat for sure. I know I lie sometimes and I'm not always the easiest person to be around, but I care about you. A lot. So please say something instead on sitting there like maybe you like me too."

You can't speak when she looks like this. She's too beautiful. Audrey sits there waiting for you anxiously pushing her hair out of her face. You love her like this: hair mussed, walls down and eyes honed on you like if she looks away you'll disappear. You can't speak so you kiss her instead.

She wraps her fingers in your hair lost in the foreign strands. She leans into you and you lean back enjoying her pressing you into the couch. Audrey kisses you like you're precious and holds you like she can't stand not feeling your skin.

It's easy to say you stop talking to what's-her-face after this.