Feel

Money, sex, and drugs. The potent combination that drives the underworld. Few can navigate it's treacherous path, every corner  promising demise. A path to freedom discreetly woven into it's underlying fabric waiting to be discovered. Many have walked these dark, desolate streets searching for that way out, and many have failed. Dewayne "Black" Roper was no different. Raised in borderline poverty, but raised with love and blessed with intuition. He sees a way above his struggle and the struggles of his dearly loved Family. But his inner demons haunt him. And the truth of his troubled life follows him. Can he outrun his demons? Can he finally open his heart for another? Will his heartache and pain strenghthen him, or will his truth ultimately consume him? 

Chapter 1

    A procession of cars slowly made the turn into the dusty lot; a lot abandoned of care that over the years managed to find itself full of potholes, debris, and litter. However, the deteriorated lot did little to stop the long procession of cars that squeezed into its small, confined space. Drivers fought for places to park, many flaunting their sparkling candy and pearl paint jobs, over-sized chrome rims, and deafening bass and piercing acoustics driven by top dollar audio equipment. Typically, the type of commotion you would expect from a club; especially one that was considered a hole in the wall.

    This is the nightlife of my city; drugs, alcohol, and woman. A hole in the wall club a place that you could encounter all three. Buy, sell, or trade. I love it, but tonight is my last. Tomorrow I venture into a new chapter of my life; new scenery, and hopefully a new start. College has always been a goal of mine, a goal I have finally achieved. I made it through twelve years of primary education, which is a pretty hard feat considering where I've been raised, but I managed. How, I don't know, I just know that I did.

                   " Black! Come on my nigga!" my younger brother Marlo yelled from the entrance of the club. Like I he had the dark smooth features of our mother, but while I was slim and tall, a trait inherited from my father, he had my mother's shortness and a stocky frame developed from too much incarceration at a young age. Too much beans and rice, and too many push-ups. We both possessed my mother’s dark piercing eyes that had the power to turn anyone to stone caught in its paralyzing gaze, a gaze that made the weak shutter and the strong stand firm.

    I slowly made my way through the crowd, meeting and greeting everyone as I passed; my long deadlocks bouncing with every step. Popularity was a hard word to attach to my brother, myself, and our small band of cousins. Popularity is more of a term to describe someone’s ability to adapt in an environment and draw likeable attention at the same time. My brother and I were more known than popular. For every one person that loved us, I was sure there were two who hated.

    But it was all expected when you had a younger brother and younger cousins like I did. I was the high school graduate. I was the one who portrayed a good guy image even though the truth was hardly hidden. Marlo on the other hand was a man filled with fiery aggression. A bitter young soul who never seemed to show an ounce of fear in his DNA, but truth be told, I knew that it wasn't fear that he lacked, it was care.

    But hypocrisy is not one of my traits, and I know and understand that Marlo and the rest of my cousins are the way they are party because of my influence. I tried to explain to them not to make a career out of this lifestyle, and consider school and education as a future. I tried to explain we weren't here to be cool, but to assist. Our mothers broke their backs in an attempt to raise our small band, with no help, no men. For so long one has been missing out either of their lives we felt it our job take the responsibility.

    I guess for some people though money is more addictive than the most potent drug mother earth can produce or brilliant man can create. I watched the game suck them in hungrily. No matter how much I pleaded it was hopeless, and besides who was I to preach. With no choice I gave in and let them choose their own course, but believe over every shoulder I lurked, and around every corner I waited. I am my brother's keeper.