Chapter I : Gowns Of Doubt

I've never been one for fairytale endings.

Yeah, sure, when I was a child I'd hoped that prince charming would come and save me from this utterly mundane world, but who didn't? But now that I've lost the ignorance that childhood brought with it, I see things as they are. It's as if a special glass has been placed in front of my eyes. I see relationships fall apart, and loveless marriages in which the two stay together only for the children. I had lost all hope in ever finding my "Happily Ever After" and was content in being moderately happy. Until one night. . . when I found out there was so much more out there.

***

"You look absolutely stunning Ellie!" My Aunt exclaimed from behind me.

I examined myself in the mirror accepting her compliment with only a warm smile. My auntie Margo frequently invited me over to her house since she had never had any children of her own. She had never been married, which surprised me because, in my eyes, she was perfect. When I had asked her why she had never settled down, she told me that there was still time to meet someone, but I could tell by the way the light in her eyes changed, that she didn't believe it.

We shared many interests, Auntie Margo and I. Art, reading, and writing. She looked as if she could be my mother or sibling as well. Her long brown hair cascaded all the way past her hip bone and was the color of melted chocolate. My hair almost identical, but was cut not far past my shoulders. Where Aunt Margo had deep set, bright blue eyes, full of optimism, and deep smile lines fanning off from around them, mine were a deep shade of hazel, more brown than green.

"I can just feel it Ellie!" she exclaimed with a delighted smile, and I couldn't hold back a small laugh.

"And what is it that you can feel?" I asked, my eyes drifting to my reflection, watching the frail brunette girl staring back at me in the mirror. I hardly ever wore makeup, unless it was a special occasion. Auntie Margo always told me that I was more beautiful without it and I trusted her judgment. But tonight, for whatever reason she had changed her mind and applied quite a lot. My skin tone was even, my hazel eyes popped from the earthy tones surrounding them, my eyeliner was flicked up at the end, making my eyes look large. But my most favorite part were my lips. They were a deep shade of red and looked straight out of a movie. The more I looked, the fonder I grew of the new look.

"You're going to meet someone very special tonight! I feel it!" Her eyes glossed over with a sort of giddy excitement that I hadn't seen in a long while. As long as I've known her, she had always been so dreamy-eyed. A small laugh escaped my lips as she finished pinning my hair on top of my head, leaving locks to frame my face. She placed her hands on my shoulders and met my eyes in the reflection of the mirror. "Thank you, Aunt Margo...for everything you did for me tonight."

I looked down at the blue gown we found at the thrift store downtown. It looked vintage and was in great condition, I simply adored it. It hugged curves I didn't even know I possessed.

"You're welcome. . . but there's one more thing you're going to need."

I smiled to myself as she scurried back with a mask covered in blue lace, perfectly matching the dress. carefully, she placed the mask around my eyes and tied it behind my ears.

"There," she said with a satisfied looking smile. "Now all The girls will wish they were you, and the guys will wish they had you."

I just laughed and shook my head.

Yeah right.

***

The annual masquerade ball was organized for the students in my school. Believe it or not, it was bigger than prom. They rented out a big hall somewhere in the city and filled it with punch, snacks, and we even had a fancy dinner before the winners of the mask challenge were announced. Don't ask me where all this money came from.

We didn't have enough money for a limo, and it's not like I was with a group of people. It was just me, and I was meeting my best friend there. We took aunt Margo's muddy pickup truck as transportation. On our way out of the house, I picked up the skirt of my thrifted blue dress, trying not to scrunch it as I got in the truck. It was mostly a silent ride, and aunt Margo could tell I was desperately nervous. She turned on the radio towards the end of the ride though, I guess she couldn't take the silence.

When we pulled up to the Rec. hall that the dance was being held in, I turned to her sharply, my pulse quickening, it was suddenly 100 degrees in this car.

"I'm nervous."

Silence. Then finally,

"I'd be worried if you weren't."

I take a long, deep breath.

Goddamn it Ellie, pull yourself together.

Auntie Margo leaned over and kissed my cheek, pulling a lock behind my ear.

"Go get em' gorgeous."

I managed a nervous smile, more than I was capable of at that moment in time.

The seconds on the walk from the car, to the steps leading to the door, were the longest of my life. I picked up my skirt to prevent anything from getting on it and put on a brave face. I reached out for the door, but surprisingly they opened for me, volunteers to help with the dance no doubt, no high schoolers would even think of helping.

That was when I had it.

my moment.

Everybody has their defining moment in life. The one that you know you'll remember forever, because how could you forget something so magnificent? The one you'll see on your deathbed, shining brightly as an ember.

For some people, it's that magical first kiss or the cries of their newborn child as it's placed in their arms.

But No, this was mine.

All eyes turned to me, I heard small gasps, some came from smiling faces, some came from bitter ones.

I hesitantly made my way down the steps leading in, avoiding all the stares, but not ignoring the idiotic smile placed on my face. I found a tall blonde girl, made even taller by the heels she wore. I could easily tell this was my best friend, Mara Tonight, it was just her and me, taking on the world dateless.

We didn't mind though, we had each other.

"Mara!" I called, tapping her shoulder.

"Ellie! You look absolutely stunning!"

"As do you!" We hugged and she handed me some punch, I took it politely but didn't dare take a sip. Mara had blonde hair, blue eyes, and freckles across her nose and forehead, but tonight they were expertly covered by foundation, I'm not sure why though because I quite liked her freckles.

"Listen..." She started, her smile faded. "Remember that 'no date' pact?" She asked, biting her bottom lip nervously.

"You. did. not."

"I did, I'm really sorry Elle, he Came to my house with flowers and I couldn't say no."

I shook my head "glad you're happy."

"You would've done the same thing!" She whisper-yelled.

"No, I would've said 'look so and so, you're very attractive and I'd love to hang out with you another time, but I'm kinda going to hang out with my friend.'

I shook my head and walked away, getting lost in the crowd easily. I heard Mara call after me, but ignored her.

it was a beautiful night. Stars shined brightly in the sky, not a cloud in view. I sat by the creek and sighed. Even though I knew it was selfish, I hoped mara would decide to hang out with me after all.

No dice.

Instead, a husky voice came from behind me, sending chills down my spine.

"I do hope you know...the party is inside."

Author's note: HELLOOOO

first of all, I'd like to thank all of you for tuning in on my story, I love you all to the moon and back. I'm an amateur writer so please comment any opinions/criticism in the comments below.